Thanx to all and a q about Books

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 18 April 2002 9.53am
All,

Hi, i have been reading your comments in the forum and have found them most intersting and helpful.

I have a question about second hand book stores in the area. My wife and i are avid readers and have collected a huge amount of books. We ant to keep the majority of them but there are a couple that we would like to get rid of (holiday reads) but given that discarding a book is a sin I would like to exchange them in a second hand book store for new books. Failing that i wil donate to Oxfam or the library. Does anyone know of any second handbook stores in the area with this facility? I have calles the store on 20 Lower Marsh but unfortunately they are not able to help.

Incidentally does anyone know where any charity shops are in borough? We cannot find one for love nor money!

Thanx in anticipation.

Regards

Kegan
liz
Thursday 18 April 2002 4.20pm
you are not wrong about charity shops in se1. there is one tucked away behind the co-op on southwark park road in bermondsey and i know there is a sally army one on deptford church street but apart from that ...
Thursday 18 April 2002 4.23pm
I think there's also a charity shop along Jamaica Road - what about donating to the hospital?
Jan
Friday 19 April 2002 6.17am
There are two / three in Walworth Road. Geranium shop for the blind, sally army, and another.one is on corner of cadiz street, one almost opposite post office in walworth road, another one near westmoreland road.
and there is a secondhand bookshop on ground floor elephant castle, they may do exchanges... hope this helps
Friday 19 April 2002 10.18am
Thank you all for your comments!

Most helpful.

Hopefully i can help as much in the future!

I will check some of the today if i can

The hostpital is definately an alternative to the library ro charity.

K
Friday 19 April 2002 1.16pm
there's a brilliant secondhand bookshop in Elephant shopping centre - TLON BOOKS. Think they take books and offer you something off any purchases.
There are lots of organisations needing donations, although not many charity shops. Try St Hugh's Church, The Rainbow Centre in Crosby Row SE1. Open Wednesdays 10-1pm. Or call Charterhouse in Southwark, Tabard Street SE1. Oh yes, I just noticed yesterday that there's a Friends of Guys Hospital second handshop in the entrance to the hospital, by the flower shop.
It occured to me that you may not want to purchase a secondhand Gap shirt for someone you're visiting in hospital though...
Monday 29 April 2002 7.36pm
The guys selling books on the South Bank outside the NFT will buy books if you have enough to make it worth their while.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: