Parcels stolen from inside building

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 2 March 2012 6.15pm
I live in Clay Court (off Long Lane) and I just had a man ring on my doorbell saying he wanted to deliver a parcel to my neighbours. I knew that they were in so I asked him why he hadn't buzzed their door and he said they weren't answering. I ended up buzzing him in but immediately going down to the post area to see if he was for real because he sounded a bit dodgy. When I got down to the ground floor there were no parcels and a parcel that was definitely there a few minutes earlier was gone.

Having spoken to my neighbours, this has happened a few times. anyone else experienced anything similar?
Friday 2 March 2012 7.26pm
yes we live on long lane and one of my neighbours has reported similar issue to us all
Zoe
Friday 2 March 2012 8.44pm
We get rough sleepers pretending to deliver parcels to get inside, who then come sit in the block drinking (and other undesirable activities). We don't tend to have parcels left in communal areas, but I suppose they might steal them if there were, as they are probably opportunists.
Saturday 3 March 2012 10.07am
It seems basic security measures are sadly lacking in Clay Court. There are a number of measures I practice: If the caller is not for me I do not give them entry,if they want to leave a letter or parcel I go to the entrance and collect it from them, I always remove packages from the view of outsiders and if possible leave it outside the addressee's door, I never leave them on view,never let people in who you don't know or are not expecting. Above all remember that thieves, burglars, con-men and distraction thieves will, and do, use any deceit and lies they can to gain entry.
It seems that they know the residents in Clay Court are particularly vulnerable by the number of times it has happened.
Good security practice by all the residents for their own sake and their neighbours is vital. Be aware, be cautious,be suspicious and stay safe.
Saturday 3 March 2012 2.08pm
The solution is clear...don't allow access to your building to anyone you don't know. i have closed the door in the face of tailgaters at empire square and always will. i cannot believe how many residents buzz-in the deliverers of flyers for pizza and other fast food businesses ...naive
Saturday 3 March 2012 2.17pm
Does Clay Court have a glazed entrance and mailboxes etc immediately beyond, so people can see from the street that a parcel is sitting there? That seems to be the case for many (mainly modern) SE1 developments and, in the absence of a concierge, is an obvious security vulnerability.

Short of frosting the glass, a screen behind which parcels can be left would seem the best way to overcome that.
Saturday 3 March 2012 2.31pm
Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, Clay Court has a glazed entrance so it's easy to see the post area and any parcels that might be there. We've actually had bikes stolen from the corridors inside the building before as well.

I'm going to speak to my landlord and leave a note warning my neighbours to not let anyone in they don't know.
Saturday 3 March 2012 9.03pm
osolon wrote:
I'm going to speak to my landlord and leave a note warning my neighbours to not let anyone in they don't know.

Not being rude - but I would have thought this was common bleeding sense?

Why did you "buzz" someone in you didn't know??

If I had a parcel stolen because a neighbour had "just buzzed someone in" I would be bloody fuming.
Sunday 4 March 2012 9.51am
I agree with BSB...how foolish can you be? If you HAVE a secure door, it's for a reason. And leaving parcels in a hall visible to all seems completely ridiculous. You should ask your landlord for a special parcels "nook" and send a flyer to everyone in the building, plus putting notices everywhere, warning them NOT to allow access to anyone other than their own visitors.
Sunday 4 March 2012 10.00am
We've left signs telling the postman/delivery people not to leave parcels there, but they continue to do so. It's obviously easier than having to go back to the depot.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network