The Walky-Talky from Butler's Wharf

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Friday 2 March 2012 11.25pm
The Walky-Talky from Butlers wharf.
I Visited butlers wharf today for the first time since Boris started building Ken Livingston’s walky talky tower, and it has to be said it has a devastating impact and destroyed the view of Tower bridge, rising up in the middle like a third tower and appearing taller than and domineers Tower bridge. I wonder what all the occupants of those posh flats think about having there view of Tower bridge destroyed.
The walky Talky is actually 10 floors lower than the Nat west tower but because it has been built so close to the river it appears to look taller from virtually every angle on the south bank. This is appallingly bad planning.
From St savours wharf it appears just to the right of tower bridge , but again taller and domineering it.

Boris is just doing what Ken Livingston did in office which is to obediently do what ever the Political party he belongs to in central government wants not what is best for London.

So much for protecting views of London what a load of cobblers!!!!!
Friday 2 March 2012 11.38pm
It's just a horrible building. I'm not sure anything can destroy a view of Tower Bridge though since Tower Bridge is also a horrible building. Both are in comically bad taste.
Saturday 3 March 2012 1.21am
beetroot wrote:
It's just a horrible building. I'm not sure anything can destroy a view of Tower Bridge though since Tower Bridge is also a horrible building. Both are in comically bad taste.

No better, no worse than the shard.
Saturday 3 March 2012 1.32am
London would be better with no tall buildings but the Shard is much better than that thing.
Saturday 3 March 2012 10.52am
can't really understand the phobia over tall buildings. every big city has them...most have many more than london. as for the walkie talkie what we have now is a concrete core ...i think judgements based on an incomplete structure are a little hasty. keep in mind the even taller "Cheesegrater" is going up behind
Saturday 3 March 2012 12.32pm
The core is the best it will look as the finished building will be a wide bulbous monster.
Saturday 3 March 2012 1.32pm
I'm usually a big fan of tall buildings, but I have to agree with you micky. I literally gasped in disbelief when I was walking outside the Design Museum the other day. That beautiful uniterrupted view through the bridge has been completely obliterated.

I will save judgement on the actual appearance of the building until I see the steel rising, but location is wrong.
Saturday 3 March 2012 3.32pm
Just look at the pictures of the thing. That's the image with exaggerated shininess that they think shows it at it's best, not the duller grey look these buildings always end up with.
Saturday 3 March 2012 8.23pm
People need to realize that these famous view are not safe, our elected representatives will continue to let Londoners down if we let them get away with it.
Sunday 4 March 2012 9.27am
Looking out of my back window at night the shard reminds me of a Tracey Emin Christmas tree...or something you'd buy from the pound shop, of course if I had a head for heights and lived there and could get a unhindered view of my lovely old Tower Bridge I may change my mind!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network