John Harvard Library today

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 5 March 2012 10.44pm
any idea why it was closed, and if this was a one-off for today by any chance?
thanks
Zoe
Monday 5 March 2012 10.48pm
Well there's nothing on the website about it. I presume there wasn't a note on the door?

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/437/libraries_and_locations/996/john_harvard_library
Monday 5 March 2012 10.50pm
When I passed the front entrance late this afternoon glaziers were repairing shattered doors. I don't know when or how they were broken, but hopefully today's problem is now resolved and normal service will resume in the morning.
Zoe
Monday 5 March 2012 10.51pm
Ah, so no note on the door as the door was broken!
Monday 5 March 2012 10.54pm
thanks. apparently there was a note somewhere (according to my kids) which said something like "due to unforseen circumstances the library is closed and it will open soon again" but no details given.
will try again tomorrow. many thanks.
Tuesday 6 March 2012 1.05am
Southwark- library kitchen fire

03 March 2012

Three fire engines and around 15 firefighters were called to a small kitchen fire in a Library on Borough High Street, Southwark, SE1 this evening.

A woman was led to safety by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus.

The Brigade was called at 2055 and the fire was under control by 2122.

Crews from Dowgate, Old Kent Road and Southwark fire stations were at the scene.

The cause of the fire is under investigation. 

Tuesday 6 March 2012 8.36pm
Curious - why was the woman there at nearly 9pm on March 3rd when the advertised Saturday hours are only till 5: a cleaner? And what beyond the usual workplace kettle does a library kitchen have that can catch fire? (Have I been missing lots of exotic volumes-and-vol-au-vent evenings?)
Wednesday 7 March 2012 8.47am
Boroman wrote:
Curious - why was the woman there at nearly 9pm on March 3rd when the advertised Saturday hours are only till 5: a cleaner? And what beyond the usual workplace kettle does a library kitchen have that can catch fire? (Have I been missing lots of exotic volumes-and-vol-au-vent evenings?)

Maybe they were doing a reading of "Farenheit 451" and it got a bit out of hand.
Wednesday 7 March 2012 2.24pm
mystery solved.(i asked when i went yesterday).
the night guard (they have to have one after all the break-ins) put something in the microwave, that caused a fire. the fire brigade had to break the entrance door in, as the keys were still in the kitchen.
Wednesday 7 March 2012 5.23pm
'All the break ins.'

Have there been many?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: