Garden waste recycling

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 2 June 2004 2.44pm
Marvellous. Got home from work yesterday to find 2 large brown paper bags on my front step for garden waste recycling. So I filled them (and left them out in the rain to rot over the next fortnight). But... they won't give me any more - I have to go to find them from somewhere. And as I am a part of the poor deprived part of the community that has no web access at home, I don't know where I need to go - and even when I find out I dare say they will be shut at 'convenient' times.

But what they will give me is a jute bag that I can reuse in the future. They collect every two weeks, so fairly quickly the bottom of that jute bag is going to be full of the most delightful compost. Ugh!

This sounds like splendid enthusiasm, but lacking in delivery. (Or should that be collection?)

Post edited (02 Jun 04 18:39)

Cider maker, cidermaker or cider-maker?
Wednesday 2 June 2004 4.16pm
Isnt making delightful compost the best possible outcome???

Seriously, I know what you mean about the difference between good ideas and good implementation. The Manor Place recycling depot off Walworth Rd is open very long hours including weekends.
Jon
Wednesday 2 June 2004 4.20pm
only it's not been open the two weekends I've tried to go there!

Grrr
Wednesday 2 June 2004 4.28pm

I know you need a car, but the dump next to Battersea Power Station is open good hours and is always quiet, as noone knows about it...

Regards,

Loafer
Wednesday 2 June 2004 5.39pm
Well, yes, delightful compost is the best possible outcome, which is what I do with my unwanted odds and ends. But sadly my garden is insufficiently large for hedge clippings, so they have to go out. But it does not stop the leaves from degrading over the two-week period between collections.

Cider maker, cidermaker or cider-maker?
Sunday 18 July 2004 7.28pm

How good of Southwark to introduce garden waste recycling - great idea - but only if the waste is picked up! I have had one collection since the scheme started in early June.

My garden waste has been outside my street door for 4 weeks and there are 3 beige garden sacks and 1 jute bag. I have telephoned the recycling department once or twice a week sometimes holding for 50 minutes for an operative to answer only to be told they are aware of my complaint.

In the meantime the bags get wet, animals & kids knock them over causing more litter. They have said my next collection is 23rd July and to hold on till then.

Is anyone else having this problem?
Sunday 18 July 2004 9.43pm
It may be that your gardens are not large enough or your waste is too woody, but Southwark are doing an offer on garden compost bins at the moment. You can get one for 10 including a small green bin for your kitchen.
Monday 19 July 2004 7.54am
Derby has a marvellous idea - brown wheelie bins for recycling garden refuse, wish we could have one as I cant get to manor place...
Monday 19 July 2004 8.04am
We have big green wheelie bins in the Forest of Dean for our garden waste - and they're collected regularly, along with paper and glass.
Monday 19 July 2004 9.45am
Garden waste is about the only thing that is collected from my house with any sort of regularity. In fact, they seem to collect 3 Wednesdays out of every 4.

The timetable for other recycling has completely gone to pot - along with the normal rubbish collection. (And some so-and-so has nicked my bottle box.)

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: