Waitrose is finally coming to SE1!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 13 March 2012 8.19am
I heard a rumor yesterday that a mini waitrose was coming FINALLY to SE1 but as a concept. Taking over the back of the garage at the Shell Petrol Station, Borough - similar to the M&S food concepts in BP stations.

Has anyone heard anything more substantial? Several residents had heard bits about it but nothing concrete. Now don't get me wrong I have been waiting for ages for Waitrose to show up (and on my doorstep even better) however this seems a very strange way of doing it.

Not sure when it is due to open ....
Tuesday 13 March 2012 1.13pm
Do I really mind? Am I starving to death without Waitrose? Answers on a postcard.
Tuesday 13 March 2012 2.16pm
its not REALLY Waitrose ...its a petrol station that sells food
Tuesday 13 March 2012 2.42pm
But surely Waitrose petrol must be miles ahead all the other brands, and worth the extra cost?
Tuesday 13 March 2012 3.18pm
Mmmmm, there is that...
Tuesday 13 March 2012 3.23pm
nelson_ wrote:
But surely Waitrose petrol must be miles ahead all the other brands, and worth the extra cost?

It is expensive but it tastes great!
Tuesday 13 March 2012 3.48pm
Waitrose is already in SE1 if you use internet shopping and the incredibly efficient delivery system. You can use Waitrose or Ocado (which I happily use). Among the benefits are bulk discounts for some items. A raison d'etre of physical supermarkets is psychological re-assurance that there is a tangible world of human interaction still, even if it's just interaction with a row of wine bottles and a check-out machine.

Oh I've just thought of another advantage of internet shopping - no annoying charges for plastic bags.
Tuesday 13 March 2012 4.01pm
Ocado might be the way to go. This does sound more petrol station than food shop. Like the M&S next to the flyover on NKR I imagine.

Tbh, I was happy enough with Sainsbury's Express on TBR until they replaced all the people and tills with those machines I can't work and that shout at me.

UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA... HAVE YOU GOT A NECTAR CARD... DID YOU BRING YOUR OWN BAGS... ARRRGGHHH...
Tuesday 13 March 2012 5.26pm
Yes, it would be good to have a proper Waitrose around here, but I'm delighted with the 'new' Tesco Metro in Tooley Street. Far more choice than Sainsbury's TBR. How people do a full shop in there is beyond me - expensive and limited choice and, yes, those hateful machines.

On the point of bags, I never understand why more people don't take bags with them - it's hardly a problem. There really are FAR too many plastic bags in this world!
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: