20 Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 13 March 2012 2.33pm
I know this development has been discussed here before, but could not find the thread even on the search. Seems like it is now going ahead, one of the oldest building is sadly being demolished right now, it is the building on the left in this pic:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2638381

If I understand this application correctly, they want now to include also the building in the northernmost corner as well to be demolished:

http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/planningonline2/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=9543900

Wondering if the development is actually now going ahead, or are they just creating another empty plot to Blackfriars Road? There seems to be loads of new recent planning applications for this plot though.

Scaffolding has also gone up around the old Lloyds Bank building on the other side of the road, not sure what is going on there?
Tuesday 13 March 2012 2.46pm
Oh, found the thread from 2004, embarrassingly also started by me then. Oh well, still thinking it is a shame that we'll soon have only modern buildings left in this part of Blackfriars Road.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/25087/page=1
Tuesday 13 March 2012 2.53pm
The demolition of the corner building is merely so they can say that the planning permission has been 'implemented' and therefore will never expire.

Normally demolition doesn't count as implementation (as in most cases you don't need permission to knock down a building), so developers have to dig a trench or sink a pile or something to constitute a 'material operation' towards the construction of a scheme.

However, leading planning lawyer Christopher Katkowski QC argues here that as the secretary of state specifically mentioned demolition in her decision letter approving the 20 Blackfriars Road scheme, knocking down the corner building is sufficient to allow the developers to 'bank' the planning permission indefinitely.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 13 March 2012 3.23pm
Thanks for that, James. So that is why the demolition seems to be only local to that one building. The murky world of property development on our doorsteps!
Tuesday 13 March 2012 5.27pm
What's even more odd - to me anyway - is that I've watched the building apparently being demolished by hand! When the demolition crew began they were on the roof pushing the brick walls down. Can't seem to come up with any logical reason for that, but no doubt there is one!
Wednesday 14 March 2012 9.32am
Its cheap?
Wednesday 14 March 2012 2.54pm
The site is expected to be sold through the same agents that sold One Blackfriars across the road – the owner was waiting for that site to sell to test the water... rumoured to be coming to the market in the next few months, and certainty over the validity over the planning permission, as per James’ post, would make a sale much more likely.
Tuesday 19 March 2013 10.11pm
Any news on this?
The whole area around Blackfriars Bridge is being regenerated right now, it hurts to see this area left in a derelict state.
What are they waiting for?
Zoe
Tuesday 19 March 2013 10.57pm
I recall being told that the scheme for 20 Blackfriars Road is not going ahead now, so we could be left with that awful site for a long time to come. However, James will know.
Wednesday 20 March 2013 9.55am
The last owners of the site had trouble with the bust Irish banks that lent them money for this and this site along with another one they owned up in Old St were supposed to have been put up for sale well over a year ago. The Old St one had definitely been sold but I have no idea if this one had.

You would think whoever owns the site would be very keen to build here considering all the other sites now active.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: