90 Latino folk arrested at Coronet gig as police ask for I.D

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7
Tuesday 13 March 2012 6.36pm
Immigration raid: a concert with a very bad taste

"Óscar, a Bolivian man, went to the English capital on February 25th to see a concert; he did not get to see the show.

He was arrested when he was in the entrance queue - because his visa had expired - and transferred to a Home Office prison. On the 2nd of March he was deported back to his country.

The arrest of Óscar, together with that of roughly 90 other Latin Americans, occurred due to a premeditated act by the police who, given the circumstances, sought to arrest as many people as possible.

Two factors which anticipated a large Latino presence at the event were that the singer who performed was the Puerto Rican, William Omar Landrón Rivera, better known as Don Omar, who has a majority of Spanish speaking people as fans; as well as the location of the concert at the Coronet Theatre, in the Elephant and Castle district
"

Article continues at link below:

http://www.theprisma.co.uk/2012/03/12/immigration-raid-a-concert-with-a-very-bad-taste/

http://www.peoplesrepublicofsouthwark.co.uk/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1885:operation-condor-and-why&Itemid=2
Tuesday 13 March 2012 8.12pm
Well done plod! 90 illegals rounded up in one go sounds like a good haul to me.
Tuesday 13 March 2012 9.04pm
90 people! did they all queue up to be arrested? Doubt Don Omar has many fans now if he was in on the ruse
Tuesday 13 March 2012 9.06pm
Seems a bit unfair to me. These people were just off out for the night and weren't out mugging or robbing people. Without going into the political wrongs or rights, their immigration status is hardly top priority crime is it? Seems like the real crime here is the fact that police officers would rather dedicate their attention to matters like this than catching muggers, robbers and the like.
Tuesday 13 March 2012 9.09pm
Bad taste??? if there illegal there illegal see you later.
Tuesday 13 March 2012 9.25pm
Yea, and London would grind to a halt without illegal immigrants doing all the low paid (and often crap) jobs that no one else wants to do. But gets the arrest stats up and satisfies the right wing I guess ...
Tuesday 13 March 2012 9.27pm
I agree, illegal immigrants are not very high on my list of priorities compared to the local lowlifes that regularly threaten my day to live and that of my family with their thuggery, theft and vandalism. I don't feel one bit safer. 90 illegals? I'd rather they nicked 1 burglar.
Tuesday 13 March 2012 10.14pm
the operation was officially a 'licencing' operation, all about 'community safety' according to the met pr. if, as part of a licensing/community safety operation you go and arrest 90 people who happen to not have been born in england, the message isn't that ambiguous?
Tuesday 13 March 2012 10.24pm
That should be "day to day live" btw.
Tuesday 13 March 2012 10.45pm
This is appalling.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: