Tait House -- Need advice, please

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
shunting123 Wednesday 14 March 2012 9.50pm
Can I ask if anyone who's lived in Tait House (or Benson House) has issues with noise? I saw someone mention that people from EV or Jack's can be loud -- is that an issue?

Also, are the flats well-insulated from noise from other flats?

Much thanks for your advice.
Karen I Wednesday 14 March 2012 9.54pm
I think it depends on where the flat it situated. If it is on the Hatfields side then the noise would certainly be a problem. A resident on the ground floor moved out because of the noise. Thursday and Friday nights are the noisiest, but the bars are becoming more and more popular and people seem happy to sit out in all weathers. Other than that, it is a nice area to live and people who live in the block seems happy enough with the flats.
shunting123 Wednesday 14 March 2012 10.03pm
The block is on Greet Street, but I would be on the "garden side," so not facing Greet Street. But I guess technically that means I'm closer to Hatfields?
Zoe Wednesday 14 March 2012 10.29pm
I think that's OK, and you shouldn't suffer the noise (as Benson House is between you and Hatfields). The noise works oddly and only some people get it, other streets around here are really quiet.
shunting123 Wednesday 14 March 2012 10.46pm
Thank you.

And do you think the flats are regarded as being well-insulated from noise from other flats (people walking inside the flat above you, etc.)?
Zoe Thursday 15 March 2012 7.42am
You'll always get some noise in a flat, but I know several people who live there and they've never commented about the noise from other residents. You should probably try knocking on doors in the block and ask people who live there.
Thebunhouse Thursday 15 March 2012 9.40am
As a resident of Benson I can tell you that the noise transmission levels within the flats are low. Obviously loud music can be a problem, especially disco/Afro beat type, but I have only ever needed to complain once to a neighbour.
The noise from Isabella Street ( EV, Jack's Bar and the Thai restaurant) can be horrendous. As has been said it is worst at the end of the week and continues until as late as 2am.The general behaviour of the punters is that of people who have lost their inhibitions because of excess alcohol, anyhthing goes is the attitude and it does.Even their leaving the area is a problem, noisy minicabs, slamming car doors, over the top goodbyes. It is impossible to sleep with any window slightly open especially in the summer when there seems to be even more open-air drinking and always encouraged by the bar/restaurant owners.

Tait House does not seem to suffer the noise levels from Isabella street probably because Benson House acts as a buffer and absorbs and deflects most of the noise.
It really is a matter of location, location, location. The area is a great place for urbanites. Benson House is, and has been for over seventy years, a good location it is just unfortunate that we have gained such noisy neighbours.
Thebunhouse Thursday 15 March 2012 9.53am
I've just realised that shunting123 would be in Tait House so most of what I said about Isabella Street would not adversly affect you.
You must realise that each flat in Tait faces both the gardens and Greet Street, kitchen, bathroom and a bedroom face the gardens and bedroom/s and living room face Greet Street.Hope this is helpful
Cristall Friday 13 April 2012 8.36pm
Shunting, I use to live in Tait house, neighbours were lovely, the only problem was laminate flooring above us! And then they started selling the flats off and the people above liked playing their guitar very very late at night but we had a word and they stopped. Have to say, really loved living there, great place.
Krystian Sunday 20 May 2012 11.23pm
I posted a blog on laminate flooring. Under LAMINATE FLOORING.Please respond as this is a genuine discussion. I am trying to reach as many people as possbile to see how serious this is a problem this is.

Thanks,

Krystian
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions