Accident on Long Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 15 March 2012 1.03pm
Does anyone know what happened opposite the Boris Bikes outside Empire Square last night?

When I walked past about 7.30pm there were some remains of a vehicle wrapped around a lamp post which had been flattened. It was dark so I could not tell if it was the remains of a car or a motorbike.

It's an unusual spot to have such a big impact.

It had all been cleared away this morning.
Thursday 15 March 2012 1.08pm
When I went past it looked like a Mercedes was wrapped around the lamp post-the driver had to be removed by the fire brigade I hear but not sure if anyone else was involved
Thursday 15 March 2012 1.29pm
When I saw the car it had been lifted on the side by the firemen. I thought somebody was taken out from underneath but I did not see any sign of other vehicles around (bike, motorbike). The car was completely on the curb though.. Finger crossed no passer by involved.
Thursday 15 March 2012 7.18pm
I went past around 4.30pm and it was a big black Merc that had crashed into the bus stop sign. Looked like a mini cab as it has the green sticker in rear window. It was in mess so must have been going some speed. The driver was sitting on the bus stop with a blood pressure thingy on his arm and an oxygen mask on. No idea how it happened.
Thursday 15 March 2012 9.48pm
The traffic moves wayyyyy too fast on Long Lane for such a narrow, primarily residential street.
Friday 16 March 2012 10.36am
I was walking down long lane, and I thought exactly the same as you james, a workman's van passed me at warp 9. There were kids crossing the road up ahead on their way to school. There's plenty of adverts for shopping benefit cheats, but there's no hotline for dangerous driving.

I'm boring myself, but so many cars, driving too fast and without due care and attention is one of the major downsides to living in this area.

I do sympathise, that cab driver was possibly under pressure to make a pickup, and the van driver was probably late for work, but I'd happily have either one (were they shown to be driving too fast) on trial for murder if they hit someone. That might be the only way to make them think about their speed.

Cue whining from drivers about the 'war on motorists'...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: