Nursery and Childcare

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
AD
Monday 19 March 2012 1.10pm
Hello everybody,

Please could anyone recommend a Nursery or Childminder. I am looking to place my 5 month old daughter in a Nursery for 2 or 3 days a week from when she is around 1 year old, so 6 to 7 months into the future.

We live in the North East of SE1 by Mill Street which is also close to Rotherhithe (SE16).

A Nursery would be ideal, but if anyone knows of a local Supernanny I'd be grateful for any recommendations or comments as we are not set in our plans.

I looked through some previous threads and the ARC Nursery seems to be well recommended. I have started a new thread as I couldn't find a recent one and our area seems to be changing a lot, if I have missed something please point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance.
Monday 19 March 2012 6.56pm
Hi - I am a happy Arc parent. My oldest has been there since she was about 14 months old and they have been very sensitive to her throughout. You do need to put your name down well in advance, so now is probably a good time if you like the look of it after a tour. Personally I think after a year the social interaction of a nursery is great for little ones if you don't have other siblings around, and especially if only for a couple days a week. PM me if you have anything specific you want to know about them.
AD
Tuesday 20 March 2012 11.11am
Hi 'The Mrs',
Thanks for your reply, I was wondering if you looked into any other local options or went straight to ARC?
I plan to visit and then may take up your kind offer and contact you with questions.
Tuesday 20 March 2012 1.01pm
If you use the search function within this forum, there have been similar threads to yours over the last year or two, where several parents have chipped in with their opinions on the various nurseries around SE1.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 20 March 2012 1.05pm
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/151959/153141/page=3#msg-153141

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/111842/112318#msg-112318

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/128003/128003#msg-128003

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/133899/134037#msg-134037

....were some threads I found just now. Hope they help.

There's also some kind of childcare event on this Saturday in SE1 with childminders/nannies on hand to talk to. Can't remember the details, but Mrs I got them via the Borough Babies forum, which might be another good place to post your query.

Good luck.

AD
Tuesday 20 March 2012 3.42pm
Thanks Ivanhoe.

Summarising the threads you linked to for the benefit of anyone stumbling upon this one;
- Don't share your Wi-Fi!
- Bermondsey Community Nursery is recommended but accepts 16months to 5 years.
- Little Acorns is recommended (SE16) and accepts 6 months to 5 years.
- A child-minder cost 35 + nappies & food for 8 hours and this doesn't contravene minimum wage regs.
- Kintore Way came recommended and preferred to Bright Horizons by one.
- Bright Horizons is expensive and had mixed reviews.
- Leo's Den took 2 to 5 year olds back then.

Leo's Den now takes babies from 4 months by the look of their website. So hopefully I'm justified in starting a new thread!

The Borough Babies group childcare day seems all full which is a shame, as it would have been just what I need, so thanks for the heads up Ivanhoe. Oh and Yahoo groups are riddled with ads and difficult to navigate, but I've joined and will trawl through that resource.

If anyone has any recent experiences, please share! ARC seems a definite for a shortlist, but due to my location (near Mill Street, East SE1, bordering SE16) any recent personal experience of Little Acorns, Kintore Way, or St Joseph's would be gratefully received.
Tuesday 20 March 2012 3.59pm
Apologies for linking the wifi thread. Must have had it open in a separate tab, along with the other nursery-related threads!

(I do try to help. Honestly!)

As an update:
- I'm a happy Bright Horizons parent (baby Ivanhoe has been going there for nearly two years and we're v happy with it at present)

- Leo's Den now takes under-two's. But I have heard from a childcare professional who's been to look round there, and wasn't immediately impressed by either staff or facilities.

These are just my personal views, of course. Others' experiences may differ.

AD
Tuesday 20 March 2012 4.24pm
Thanks Ivanhoe. I really value opinion and will do lots of other research.
Tuesday 20 March 2012 4.48pm
AD
As mentioned in one of the threads my son went to little Acorns-it was a few years ago as he is 11 now but he really enjoyed his time there and i thought it was a good nursery back then-can i suggest the you ring round a few nuseries and see how long waiting lists are and also arrange to visit them and see for yourself-you can often pick up vibes from a visit and get a good idea of the place and the staff and can compare them-also if you can time it for the morning or evening you can talk to other parents as well

please let people know what you plumped for and why as this may help others in the furture!!
Tuesday 20 March 2012 5.28pm
We had bad experience at Bright Horizons, as have other people. I found it very corporate and the staff were minimum-wage bored looking from what I saw. This is just my opinion though from a single experience. (read other threads about staff being seen making fun of a fat kid on a school outing)

My kids are/ were at Kintore way which is amazing. It's state run which in the nursery system is very positive. It means that there are staff who are better paid and tend to be more highly qualified than in the private sector. It is alsao heavily subsidised, so fees are cheaper. Also, state nurseries come under much more highly regulated umbrella than anything private and there have to be fully qualified teachers (in the over 3's) at Kintore Way, which are not required in the private sector.

Also, Kintore does F/T free places for over 3's, so they basically get another year of funded eduction (with a proper early years teacher) before they start reception. You don't get this at a private nursery.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: