Tanner Street Park shelter

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 21 March 2012 10.16am
Hello ..
Does anyone know anything about the disused building, next to the old water fountain in Tanner Street Park?
Sunday 25 March 2012 8.52am
Hi Aly, the building is an old shelter and is in some desparate need of some TLC. I know that my neighbours spoke to Southwark Council about this last year to find out why nothing was being done to improve its appearance or give it a new lease of life. I seem to recall that the responibility for the building is falling between the cracks within the council, the park's team don't think it is their responsiblity and the development / planning guys don't seem to being taking any action either. We all hoped that when the landscaping of the park behind the tennis courts took place last year that something would happen, but not to be!

Clearly it could make a great cafe for Tanner St Park and, whilst it is somewhat tucked away, it would thrive once the word got out. I am sure the parents looking after their kids in the playground would love to get a coffee and it would boom in the summer time! The only way this is going to move is for someone to present a plan to the council.

The water fountain that you refer to is in fact the spire of St Olave's church which used to stand close to the river near London Bridge. From what I have read, the permission to demolish the church was granted on the basis that the developer had to create Tanner St Park. The spire was relocated to the park (and again could use some TLC!) I will look forward to the "St. Olave's Spire Cafe" opening one day....
Sunday 25 March 2012 4.37pm
Very interesting .. thanks for that!..
Monday 26 March 2012 10.07am
Yes renovating this would be great - we would have the right to submit a community plan under the new Localism Act I think. Anyone in the Bermondsey St Business Forum interested? Some time ago there was talk of the hotel (Premium Inn) working with the community to incorporate a gallery with a cafe too. The footfall of local people and tourists combined would be a good business proposition.

Last month surveyors from the Council were there inspecting the building and expressed surprise that it had been left to languish so long.
Saturday 12 May 2012 9.11am
Managed to track down an old pic showing the shelter and spire before it was allowed to fall into disrepair.
Tanner St Park - St Olave's spire
Saturday 12 May 2012 9.24am
And here's one from 1929...

Tanner St Park 1929
Monday 14 May 2012 2.40pm
Thanks to previous posters for the photos. Last week I visited Tanner Street Park to view the water fountain, after looking up the history of St. Olave's Church - which was built in the 11th Century and finally demolished just before the park opened.

I mentioned the spire remnant to someone involved in Southwark local history. He said a better location for it would be Tooley Street, since the church stood on the site of the present Art Deco St. Olaf building, which bears the image of the eponymous Norwegian king and later saint. The word 'Tooley' is a corruption of St. Olaf/Olave of course.

I hope T.S. Park is improved. However gven the place of Olaf/Olave in the history and folklore of Southwark (including the legendary demolition of London Bridge in 1014 during the Norwegian-English alliance against the Danes), I hope the spire fragment can be renovated and moved to Tooley Street. Perhaps an information sign could be added which describes its origin and the Olaf connection?
Wednesday 5 December 2012 5.19pm
Rather belatedly spotted this on the Tanner Street Park noticeboard today:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 6 December 2012 10.03am
If a commercial use is not viable (i.e. a cafe), another option could be to remove the shelter completely and extend the playground to include more swings etc for older children.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: