Pile Driver accident in 1932

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 3 June 2004 8.28pm
I am desperately trying to find information (ideally a newspaper article) about an accident that happened at Becon Wharf, Southwark, on 13 Jan 1932 when Alfred Smith was crushed and killed when a pile driver hammer fell on him. If anyone can help they will be my hero. I have scanned the internet trying to find anything about it. Perhaps some kind local person can help me out here.
Thursday 3 June 2004 10.52pm
Have you tried the Southwark Local Studies library at the back of the John Harvard Library, on Borough High Street? If they can't help you, the librarians there will probably know who can.

Otherwise, it's a trip to the British Library's newspaper collection...
Friday 4 June 2004 11.55am
So the South London Press have archives that you could access still? a friend of mine contacted them about ten years ago and they gave her info about a case involving her father....

Friday 4 June 2004 2.54pm
I was straight on the phone to the Local Studies library and yes they do hold newspapers on film there. Unfortunately they do not do lookups, so i am looking for some kind person who is willing to spare some time to go and hopefully photocopy this information for me. I would dearly love to have the article.
Anonymous User
Friday 4 June 2004 3.05pm
Vanessa, I'm off work next Friday and would be more than happy to go have a look for you.

Drop me an email with where I'd need to go and exactly what I'd be looking for.
Friday 4 June 2004 7.44pm
Thanks very much - i have emailed you details. Fingers crossed.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: