Postage Increase

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 27 March 2012 6.10pm
Anyone else alarmed at the price increases on postage today?? I think they need to up their game and provide a decent service before they can justify putting the cost up.
Tuesday 27 March 2012 7.03pm
I just nearly fainted- no need to direct you to the Hate to Post it thread here I am sure POPS. It is disgraceful.
I am still awaiting a reply from head office as to why we only got post three days in the last fortnight- two of them being today and yesterday!!!
Tuesday 27 March 2012 7.29pm
So, will the increase tick folks off and increase the use of emails? - and reduce the overall stamp-spend?

Or will the increase help fund a service that is woefully underfunded and poor as a result?

And, personally, I think getting an item from one end of the country to the other in 1 day (or maybe 2) for 60p is amazing value.
Tuesday 27 March 2012 7.31pm
Absolutely amazed that this government has the gall to allow such an inflation busting increase.. Hold on a minute, why I am amazed? It is clearly not viewed as a public service anymore. Austerity.. austerity.. austerity.. ah yes.. and then we have the royal mail's whopping big postal charge increase.
Wednesday 28 March 2012 8.05am
I'm completely unimpressed by this.

They're putting up prices so that they can then sell it off.

Ridiculous, but at least the Govt are being consistent(ly ridiculous)

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 28 March 2012 8.33am
Boss St Bloke wrote:
So, will the increase tick folks off and increase the use of emails? - and reduce the overall stamp-spend?
Or will the increase help fund a service that is woefully underfunded and poor as a result?

And, personally, I think getting an item from one end of the country to the other in 1 day (or maybe 2) for 60p is amazing value.

100% agree.
Wednesday 28 March 2012 8.43am
Quote:

trouble is for most of us in SE1 getting a letter from the other end of the street can take weeks let alone the other end of the country!!!!
Wednesday 28 March 2012 9.25am
The raise is (apparently) to fund the universal service obligation, which is covered by the European directive (can't remember which one). The PO is pretty much finished as a fully public institution, so part of the market provisions put in place (as in many EU countries) are designed to ensure that this USO survives. Hence the cost rise.

Personally, I think that, if you're going to have a privatised service, then it needs to be that - you or I could set up a postal business and (obviously) try and compete for all the most profitable routes (usually by forcing down labour costs, if previous examples hold true). Obviously, 'mikec postal company' has no interest in delivering to your granny in Inverness, there's no money in that mate, so that's why the EU has legislated.

Personally, I'd leave utilities where they tend to work best (in the public sector) and let private business do what they do best (Ebay, for example). These halfway house solutions of pseudo-markets rarely deliver anything good for consumer or employee, although they tend to produce pretty good share results. I'd tell the PM, but I don't have 250K to book lunch...
Wednesday 28 March 2012 10.04am
I remember two/possibly three/ deliveries a day, reliable postmen,just one charge for letters-tuppence ha'penny in old money( equivalent to 1p today) and the first post always arrived by 9am. But I must point out I was only earning twelve shillings a day in my first job and now a stamp is going to cost the same as that first days pay
Nuff reminiscing, heres a tip on how to save money on future postal costs:
save 14 pence on first class and the same amount on second class,
first class is going up from 46 to 60 pence,
second class is increasing from 36 to 50 pence (note the proportionately greater increase on second class)
Buy as many first and second class stamps as you can before 30th April and use them legitimately after that date, but the stamps must be of the type that are marked as "1st" and "2nd" and with only the Queen's portrait, currently the stamps are gold for first and blue for second.
Buy a hundred and you save 14.
I have been doing this for years, ever since I discovered it, and I save money and always have a supply of stamps at hand, and I get immense satisfaction of beating the money grabbing inefficient system.
Wednesday 28 March 2012 10.16am
Mike C
Completely agree with your analysis. I am completely opposed to a society in which the mantra 'the private sector does it better' is prevalent in every aspect of public life. National government has a responsibility in my view to designate that some services have a particular quality that identifies them as being essential to britishness and national wellbeing. I am very much in favour of change and improvement.. but the guiding motive should not be solely about the PROFIT motive. and benefits to potential shareholders, many of whom being overseas investors do not have to put up with the cuts/reduced level of services that their privatisation brings about. Royal Mail and the Post Offices along with dare I say it the National Rail Network are key areas where politicians and policymakers should be governing in the NATIONAL interest and not just in the interests of a narrow clique.. ... and no, I don't have a spare 250k either so I won't be knocking on the door of 10 downing street anytime soon.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: