Gyms in SE1 or SE16

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 27 March 2012 8.50pm
Does anyone know of any good gyms with pools in areas quoted above, I found one looks lovely near Tower bridge round back by the horse but problem is, it does not quote any prices on their site.
Tuesday 27 March 2012 9.08pm
Seven Islands down near Tesco in SE16 has a pool and gym, and is cheaper because it is a Southwark Council run "Fitness Centre". I was a member when I was a student and was impressed with the place.

Other places have pools (Fitness First at London Bridge) - but they are private gyms and more expensive. I am a member here now, and the pool is fantastic - at a price.
Wednesday 28 March 2012 12.29pm
I second Mr BS Bloke - I am a member at Seven Islands and think it is fine. The pool is large and not too busy. The gym is OK and agian not too busy. There are classes on offer for members, but I have not tried any of them.
Monday 2 April 2012 10.54am
I belong to The Bankside Heath Club and am happy with it. It's new, clean and the equipment is well maintained. It is in the Blue Fin Bulding which is behind the Tate Modern. When I joined, they offered different membership levels and discounts for students; off-peak hours. They are always running a new joiner campaign so might be worth calling or dropping by. I have also taken a few classes which I found to be good. http://www.thebanksidehealthclub.co.uk/
Monday 2 April 2012 11.09am
Hi Ladywriter. I use the pool at Guys Hospital. You don't need to be employee or a student. Pool is 25 metres, has three lanes and a sauna. Not the most luxurious in the world but is good for lane swimming which is all I want. There is a gym at Guys and one at St Thomas plus squash courts. Prices are very reasonable and lots of options e.g. 180 for 6 month deal just pool or gym; 195 for pool and both gyms (one at Guys and one at St Thomas) You then don't pay anything extra in terms of entrance except for Squash. contact no. 020 7188 6635
Monday 2 April 2012 11.55pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
Seven Islands down near Tesco in SE16 has a pool and gym, and is cheaper because it is a Southwark Council run "Fitness Centre". I was a member when I was a student and was impressed with the place.n

Other places have pools (Fitness First at LondoBridge) - but they are private gyms and more expensive. I am a member here now, and the pool is fantastic - at a price.

Been a member there since the old fitness exchange days,you could do a lot worse,nice pool good sauna and steam room,I don't think the staff are the greatest but I don't particularly want to be buddies with them,I know some do.
They do all sorts of deals and I believe they are struggling atm (judging the attendances lately,HAVE YOU NOTICED THIS BSB?)so you might get a good deal.

Problem with seven islands is...tooo many cockernees,(God i'm bitter)
Tuesday 3 April 2012 12.02am
You are right matey. The thing I dislike most about Fitness First is the Personal Trainers. Have you noticed how they now seem desperate to sign you up?

When I am working out - I don't want to chat about goals and "how's it going - fancy a free lesson?".

It feels like chuggers in the gym!
Tuesday 3 April 2012 12.15am
Mate, I seem to be constantly fighting them off,one particular bloke approached while I was on the cross trainer and insinuated that i'm a bit on the skinny ,i'm 47 for goodness sake,side,as he was talking to me he was scanning my body (seemingly)and seemed to concentrate on my shoulders,he went on one about weight training and how I "obviously"don't indulge,my reply was,(breathlessly) "yea but birds 'ate it mate",he wouldn't go away and I just went along with it all and kind of avoided him for a week or two,it was most uncomfortable.

and your chuggers comment is bang on,the long blonde bird in there keeps flirting with me,if I didn't know better i'd think I was in.
Wednesday 4 April 2012 12.29pm
I only know the pool but can say that it is good and not too busy, so I do go. Wish the changing rooms were up to scratch though. The drains in the ladies changing rooms are often emitting unpleasant odours. Three times I've filled in complaint forms. Once was because the dirty nappy I'd seen in a changing room locker was still there a week later. Another time it was to complain that the response to the complaint, promised to be within 10 days, had not come. Needless to say, that complaint also went without a reply... So I conclude that the management has somewhat deficient. Staff are pretty unwelcoming, I'd agree. But the pool, I agree, is still worth the dirty-nappy-dodging. Shame though that there isn't an obvious alternative.
S.G
Wednesday 4 April 2012 3.19pm
I am a member of 37 degrees on the Southbank at Tower Bridge. It is a bit over priced (I think we pay about 75 per month and that was with a discount for paying 12 months up front) and busy during the week. However, it has a large gym and a really nice pool with communal sauna and steam room and lots of classes included in membership cost. I've been a member for almost 2 years and love going at the weekend when it is much quieter. I need to go way more often though and often don't have time during the week! Plus, the pool is absolutely freezing cold so you have to be brave to get in!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: