Blackfriars Bridge: light phase

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 30 March 2012 12.45am
yes! this is such a common-sensical and brilliant idea. why not trial in Bow and Blackfriars? happy to be a guinea pig. excellent news.
Friday 30 March 2012 10.21am
Yep, now if they could just retain the 20mph speed limit on the bridge so that the traffic doesn't go tearing past to the next red....
Friday 30 March 2012 11.50am
I don't understand what the proposal is, depsite reading the news article. I'd be grateful if anyone could explain.

Will this give priority to cyclists going in one direction whilst there's a green light for (all) traffic coming in another direction (i.e. it increases the "green light" time given to cyclists, but doesn't impact on the amount of "green light" time given to all other traffic), or will the priority green light for cyclists mean that there will be less "green light" time given to all other traffic?

I hope I've expressed that clearly enough.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 30 March 2012 12.01pm
This video gives an idea of what's intended at Bow Roundabout:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 30 March 2012 2.20pm
Incidentally, there seemed to be a collision involving a Boris bike on Blackfriars bridge (south end)at about 18h30 last night.
Saturday 31 March 2012 5.51pm
I have had to use Blackfriars bridge in a car for the last few days and I am amazed by the number of cyclists at rush hour, though still a minority of road users. I do think something needs to be done to protect this form of sustainable transport, but I am convinced that we need to introduce mandatory cycle training/licensing after witnessing some appalling cycling. In fact I even witnessed a nasty cycle crash, no vehicles involved, just a melee of cyclists all going at different speeds and some clearly not looking while pulling out. Result a pile up of cyclists nearly causing a car pile up too. hopefully no-one was terribly hurt but it didn't look good. I wonder if cycles shouldn't be banned from Blackfriars Bridge completely and cars/vehicles banned from Southwark Bridge for cyclist only use as someone suggested in an earlier thread and I disagreed then, now I think it not such a mad idea!
Saturday 31 March 2012 7.56pm
London drivers don't stop at the red light. They stop when cars from another direction get in their way. This means more cyclists could be killed.
Someone nearly killed a cyclist earlier this evening at the junction by Borough tube by running the red.
This light phase thing will only work if they make it so that a red light means stop. Since there are no traffic laws in London I can't see that happening.
Strangely, drivers seem to stop at the red lights at the Elephant junction. It's weird. Do they feel watched? If this spookily unusual phenomenon could happen at Blackfriars then the cycle phase will be great.
Sunday 1 April 2012 8.39am
I think at elephant they are as confused and scared as everyone else, who knows where the cars are coming from next...

I like advanced start, but not the version they propose which seems to be a very short cycling phase distinct from the traffic phase - if the lanes are not segregated either side then I expect it will be ignored by most experienced londoners who will use whichever green light is on, rather than wait for the cycle to compete. (As happens at the junction by the top end of kennington road where there is a bus/cycle phase -,-0.112271&spn=0.000486,0.001137&hnear=SE1+6EE,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=51.498332,-0.11227&panoid=GkfoSCQOjNUH30OPpg1pCg&cbp=12,312.67,,0,14.22)
Sunday 1 April 2012 8.40am
...and absolutely, would much rather 20mph were kept in place, which would have cost nothing.
Sunday 1 April 2012 12.41pm
This just seems to be a way of using lights to enforce the cycle-first zone which is marked at the start of traffic lights (but never works, because the cars always stop over the top of it).

oh and Beetroot, i'm not sure I agree with you. Cars pretty much stop at the red lights, it's the cyclists that don't (far too often)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: