Maltby Street Revisited

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Davies Monday 16 April 2012 8.02am
The nice thing about Maltby street is that it isn't heaving with tourists, you can actually get to the stalls to buy things.
There's no one is better than another about it, they are all different and will probably coexist quite happily as they attract people from different parts of the area.
Pieces of Eight Monday 16 April 2012 9.36am
boroughonian wrote:
Seriously,we all love a market but how many can a small area sustain?You have Bermondsey sq and Borough market,how many do you want?In the end,they are all the same,so why so many,don't get it at all.Oriones A to B to C is right and understandable,too many markets about to warrant premium prices,something has to give and that is rents.
I've never got the Maltby st market idea,unless it was to replace another,it's just a side street of which there are many and just because someone opens a coffee shop in a railway arch a market must obviously follow?

Sorry but something will die and it won't be Bermondsey sq.

You may not have got the Maltby Street idea but obviously plenty of others have. I suspect all of these markets can survive. Borough for the tourists, Maltby for the serious foodies and Bermondsey for somewhere in between. I personally think it's great if Maltby Street thrives. It may help BM to sharpen up it's act.
Boss St Bloke Monday 16 April 2012 11.56am
Pieces of Eight wrote:
You may not have got the Maltby Street idea but obviously plenty of others have. I suspect all of these markets can survive.

I use Maltby for fresh veg - which is excellent. If they moved on I would defo not be going anywhere near BM and fighting the tourists.

To me BM is a tourist attraction and photo opportunity only.

Julia7239 Monday 16 April 2012 4.31pm
Was down at Maltby and Spa bit chatting away on saturday morning. They are moving to the new area but there is general unhappiness about the lease holders not getting the area ready and tidied up for the monmouth migration. There is a lot of rubbish that needs to be moved and its currently lacking atmosphere as its not a nice place to hang out like Maltby. Had a dreadful experience at Neals yard on saturday. Bought some montgomerys cheddar cheese got it home and it was covered in blue mould and the rind was a state - really thick and a big proportion of the slice i had. 180g for 5 and 40% of it unedible. Luckily I live so close and I went back. Was told that it was bruising and those bits would taste more rich. I am not a cheese expert but my understanding is that cheddar should not be mouldy. When I said this and asked the chap (who Ive never seen before) if he would eat it, he said no he wouldnt. He then made a big fuss of swapping it for double the amount of cheese (330g), but the fuss he made and description about why the cheese is blue made me feel awkward and foolish. if I lived a tube ride away he would have got away with it. Also one of my best mates works there for the company. not a good look neals yard! And the cheese is not that nice and I love montgomerys cheddar!
orione Monday 16 April 2012 4.54pm
You may not have got the Maltby Street idea but obviously plenty of others have. I suspect all of these markets can survive. Borough for the tourists, Maltby for the serious foodies and Bermondsey for somewhere in between. I personally think it's great if Maltby Street thrives. It may help BM to sharpen up it's act.[/quote]

There you go..We are so lucky we have you explaining us the high profile of people shopping at Maltby st compared to other sites.... I have never understood your real reasons for this crusade but I can tell you that you have a slightly altered vision of the reality.. It is so boring to ear constantly this huge buzz over these bloody markets (like one is good and the other is bad).. You know why back home in the continent you don't have these issues?

Because a Market is just a market. There no "serious foodies" or "frivolous ones". Just take it easy. If you don't like what you see tell them in the face, they might improve as a consequence.

Everything here is so pretentious. Starting from us. Whom we think we know sooooo much about the food and we enjoy so much expensive partridge that we don't want to be touched by the frivolous tourist who upsets our unique shopping experience..

This all makes me laugh so much.

I hope is clear what I mean.. Just get the basics right. We have the best Markets in London and we should just make the best of it. Other Boroughs are not so lucky.

The sad proof of your distorted theory is that what you call "a market for real foodies" could disappear before all the others. Of the same disease that you think Borough Market is affected.

So as I have always said, and maintain it. The best thing is to try shopping in all markets and help those good produce makers.. not the others.

Have a good evening
pixie Monday 16 April 2012 5.44pm
You know why back home in the continent you don't have these issues?

Because a Market is just a market. There no "serious foodies" or "frivolous ones". Just take it easy.

-----
Nice one!
Pieces of Eight Monday 16 April 2012 6.59pm
[quote orione]You may not have got the Maltby Street idea but obviously plenty of others have. I suspect all of these markets can survive. Borough for the tourists, Maltby for the serious foodies and Bermondsey for somewhere in between. I personally think it's great if Maltby Street thrives. It may help BM to sharpen up it's act.[/quote]

There you go..We are so lucky we have you explaining us the high profile of people shopping at Maltby st compared to other sites.... I have never understood your real reasons for this crusade but I can tell you that you have a slightly altered vision of the reality.. It is so boring to ear constantly this huge buzz over these bloody markets (like one is good and the other is bad).. You know why back home in the continent you don't have these issues?

Because a Market is just a market. There no "serious foodies" or "frivolous ones". Just take it easy. If you don't like what you see tell them in the face, they might improve as a consequence.

Everything here is so pretentious. Starting from us. Whom we think we know sooooo much about the food and we enjoy so much expensive partridge that we don't want to be touched by the frivolous tourist who upsets our unique shopping experience..

This all makes me laugh so much.

I hope is clear what I mean.. Just get the basics right. We have the best Markets in London and we should just make the best of it. Other Boroughs are not so lucky.

The sad proof of your distorted theory is that what you call "a market for real foodies" could disappear before all the others. Of the same disease that you think Borough Market is affected.

So as I have always said, and maintain it. The best thing is to try shopping in all markets and help those good produce makers.. not the others.

Have a good evening[/quote]

Not me deciding where people shop, from reading this forum and other media, it appears there is a perception that BM is patronised mainly by tourists and Maltby Street is patronised mainly by the foodie types who previously shopped at BM. Nowt wrong with tourists as far as i'm concerned, their money is as good as anybody else's. I personally think that BM should accept what it has become and embrace tourism. I'm glad that you have accepted Maltby Street as one of the "best markets", you were somewhat hostile to it last year, and the people who traded there.
I have no crusade, but I do believe in freedom of choice and I simply cannot stand your histrionics whenever somebody suggests that another market may be better than BM.
Davies Tuesday 17 April 2012 10.53pm
Montgomerys cheddar is usually excellent, but not cheap. I will certainly be keeping a close eye on what I'm getting next time I buy it! Thank you.

Maybe one day Orione will explain her close personal market issues. As she seems to hijack every market thread she must have strong reasons for her screeds.
orione Wednesday 18 April 2012 4.22am
Davies wrote:
Montgomerys cheddar is usually excellent, but not cheap. I will certainly be keeping a close eye on what I'm getting next time I buy it! Thank you.
Maybe one day Orione will explain her close personal market issues. As she seems to hijack every market thread she must have strong reasons for her screeds.

Oh dear.. Have I hijacked this thread by expressing my opinion?
Davis.. As we say back home I think this time you pissed our of the toilet. Big time. Why don't you read again what I have said.. I keep supporting the fact that we should shop in all Market to help the good producer.

Your judgement is laughable
eDWaRD WooDWaRD Wednesday 18 April 2012 1.11pm
Davies wrote:
Opinions are fine, but the tone! I speak Italian, but I don't know any Italians that are as vulgar and aggressive in their tone as Orione.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions