Maltby Street Revisited

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
maurits Saturday 21 April 2012 4.52pm
amarradia wrote:
I'm not convinced about the future of maltby street. There's now lots of pop-up stalls there coming in and doing a bit of cooking, whereas the original idea was producers selling their stock on saturdays. There was also a beer stall trying to fill the gap in the market left by Kernel. Its looking more and mroe like borough market. If booths and monmouth move, there will be little of interest left.

I was there again this morning and I must agree: apart from Booths (bless them) there was nothing I wanted to buy. The Spa Road bit was as soulless as it was 2 weeks ago and there were only a few punters around. I shall go back to Bermondsey Square for my shopping and during the week to Borough Market, as I always do.

Sadly, Maltby Street was a short lived joy.
Nelios Sunday 22 April 2012 8.07am
I have been down to the Spa Terminus a few times now and think the quality and value of the food is excellent. Me and the misses had some beautiful ice cream from ice cream union, had some lovely steaks and a chicken from the butchers
and some delicious pastries from the little bread pedlar. I think the spot has great potential and its nice to see some decent foodie places spreading closer to bermondsey. Much better value that I was expecting too.
Pieces of Eight Sunday 22 April 2012 9.36am
maurits wrote:
amarradia wrote:
I'm not convinced about the future of maltby street. There's now lots of pop-up stalls there coming in and doing a bit of cooking, whereas the original idea was producers selling their stock on saturdays. There was also a beer stall trying to fill the gap in the market left by Kernel. Its looking more and mroe like borough market. If booths and monmouth move, there will be little of interest left.

I was there again this morning and I must agree: apart from Booths (bless them) there was nothing I wanted to buy. The Spa Road bit was as soulless as it was 2 weeks ago and there were only a few punters around. I shall go back to Bermondsey Square for my shopping and during the week to Borough Market, as I always do.

Methinks the reports of the demise of this market have been somewhat premature. It is in the process of moving and there are bound to be some issues surrounding that move. Given that the main people behind Maltby Street /Spa Terminus, played a major part in making BM the great market that it once was, I have every confidence that they will make a success of this area.
Pieces of Eight Sunday 22 April 2012 9.54am
Bermondsey boy wrote:
Regarding comments about Borough market and tourists. Don't punish traders by not going to the market because of tourists. It is not our fault if Borough market is advertise in every London tourist guide.
Having followed a few threads about the market, I understand that might have grief against management/trust/tourists, but by not going you are only punishing the traders, nobody else.

I really think that we have to get away from this idea that anybody is being "punished". This is simply market forces at work. The traders at BM (or anywhere else for that matter) are not special cases and are subject to the whims and vagaries of the consumer. If a consumer feels that they can get a product in area B which is the equal (or better) than a product in area A, provides a better shopping experience, is value for money and perhaps is closer to where they live, than that is where they will gravitate towards. To re-iterate, this goes for any market in any location, not just BM. The suggestion that consumers should go to BM even if they don't particularly like the place anymore, to somehow support the traders is preposterous. So come on BM traders, less of the boo-hoo "we're being punished" schtick and more of the "bring it on" approach to competition that all successful entrepreneurs have. BM has had a good run and now it may be facing some serious competition -live with it.
Bermondsey boy Sunday 22 April 2012 7.27pm
Piece of Eight,

My comment you quoted was regarding tourists. I am only saying that if one's reason for not going to BM is because of tourists, traders will suffer from it.

I completely agree with you, that if you prefer products from another location or if you get better value for money somewhere else then you should buy it from somewhere else .

Competition is healthy and keep people on their toes in terms of quality and prices. I am a customer as well, I don't just shop at BM, but also in Maltby street and Bermondsey square as I get better quality and prices than at BM.

If people do not buy my products because they are too pricey or the quality is not good enough, then I can do something about it, and if I don't I will go out of business.

Competition is not the problem, losing local customers on factors which are out of my control is!
Davies Sunday 22 April 2012 9.31pm
Bermondsey boy wrote:
Hello everyone,
I am a trader at borough market, and also a local as I live on Bermondsey street so I get the chance to see both side of the stall as we could say.

Personally I think it is fantastic to have such a choice of good products in three close locations (Borough Market, Bermondsey square, and Maltby street).

I think all of them have advantages and disadvantages, but nothing is prefect.

Regarding comments about Borough market and tourists. Don't punish traders by not going to the market because of tourists. It is not our fault if Borough market is advertise in every London tourist guide.

My favourite moment as trader is between 8am and 11 am on a Saturday morning when our local customers come to the market and when we have time to have a good chat! After lunch time I wish i could close my stall before the horde of tourists and people eating samples for free without acknowledging us arrive! I am not making money, I am losing some!

Having followed a few threads about the market, I understand that might have grief against management/trust/tourists, but by not going you are only punishing the traders, nobody else.

I hope to see all of you at my stall one day!

And happy to discuss further

Flo

Quite right!
If I was nearer and could get there earlier I would. There are many fantastic traders.
Davies Sunday 22 April 2012 9.35pm
maurits wrote:
amarradia wrote:

Are you going to Rope Walk, which is part of Maltby St, or just down the Druid Street side of the railway arches because there were loads of great traders on the Rope Walk side of the railway line last week, far more than at Bermondsey Square, great though it is, so it seems weird you couldn't find anything you liked.
damc Monday 23 April 2012 10.38am
Bermondsey Boy,

I think you must surely look to the management and trustees of the Market in relation to reaching local customers. They appear to be embracing and encouraging a tourist market. There are more and more take-away stalls. They appear to spend alot of time and energy reaching put to twitter and facebook followers who quite frankly, are not serious customers. Saw it advertised all over their website. They discuss the next great sandwich, glass of ale or mulled wine. Are they making any effort (beyond the let's pretend, feel good about ourselves PR), to reach out to ingredient shoppers. Everyone now knows Borough Market as a tourist (I have no issue with tourism) haunt. One can almost argue that they do not see value in local customers. Crouch one of the Traders in the Borough Market thread inferred that Borough Market has given into the competition. He referred to Borough Market as a Fine Food Market but then went on to say that most of the hot food is below standard. Bizarre. The competition will be challenging because more of us want to shop for food not fight our way through munchers and queues at every turn. Maltby Street will be a success because these Traders have tourists buying from them at Borough Market and Southbank while creating a veritable shopping haven in Maltby Street. I say, good luck to them and I can hardly wait.
spartacus Monday 23 April 2012 1.42pm
damc wrote:
and spartacus responded:
I think you must surely look to the management and trustees of the Market in relation to reaching local customers. They appear to be embracing and encouraging a tourist market. There are more and more take-away stalls. So, as part of your relentless campaign against the trustees, you're suggesting they, (rather than traders who have an eye to their profit margin), are actively encouraging this - how do you know? They appear to spend alot of time and energy reaching put to twitter and facebook followers who quite frankly, are not serious customers. Really? Gosh. Again, how do you know? Just what qualifies as a 'serious' customer? I'm concerned now that I may not be one - should I be spending a certain amount or only buying raw ingredients, or perhaps I must be a Guardian / Observer reader as well? I'm no apologist for BM, but you've conveniently overlooked the numerous comments on the web site and twitter re products, ingredients and the demo kitchen, for example. Are they making any effort (beyond the let's pretend, feel good about ourselves PR), to reach out to ingredient shoppers. Everyone now knows Borough Market as a tourist (I have no issue with tourism) haunt. One can almost argue that they do not see value in local customers. Crouch one of the Traders in the Borough Market thread inferred that Borough Market has given into the competition. He referred to Borough Market as a Fine Food Market but then went on to say that most of the hot food is below standard. Bizarre. The competition will be challenging because more of us want to shop for food not fight our way through munchers and queues at every turn. So don't. Thanks in part to the earlier success of BM, there are now viable alternatives providing other versions of an 'authentic' market-style food shopping experience. Maltby Street will be a success because these Traders have tourists buying from them at Borough Market and Southbank while creating a veritable shopping haven in Maltby Street. afaik, only a very few traders at Maltby have a dual presence at BM, and those are the ones that could be considered the founding 'pioneers' who established the early retail at BM and have the financial clout to pioneer and support new sites while (hopefully) they get established. A few of the smaller traders at Maltby looked forward to returning to BM because sales of their produce were so poor. One trader there remarked to me that since the Observer food awards last year, there has been a marked increase in tourists only interested in samples and photos - remind you of anything? I say, good luck to them and I can hardly wait.Be careful what you wish for.
damc Monday 23 April 2012 3.00pm
Spartacus, I sense some frustration. Pleade don't be. It is really important to me because i love the Market and it's importance in tjis community. There is a fundamental issue of accountability and not a relentless attack. Bemondsey Boy stated that traders that the tourism element is a problem to traders and is something they cannot control. He also clearly stated that they are responsible for their profit margins, which I have not disagreed with. The trustees recently released a public statement which clearly stated that ' Borough Market is trying to experiment with wholesale and make markets pleasurable tourist attractions'. In essence the Trustees and management are responsible for strategic direction and I would think that statement clearly shows their intent.

As for the facebooking and twittering, you are right I have not looked at it until this weekend when I found it on their website but the 'meet me at borough for a chorizo roll or lovely pie and gravy and love the mull wine' is probably (don't shout me down) munchers. This is more feel good PR which is not an issue but how are they advertising to me? When I say proper shopper, I mean not there to sample, browse, eat lunch and take photographs for flickr, facebook, twitter or my holiday album. If this issue poses problem to traders and customers like me, should it be ignored! A trader told me that Borough Market has lost serious shoppers. I thought it was interesting terminology but in context perhaps not.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions