Are we electing a new Mayor?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 14 of 20
Pieces of Eight Thursday 26 April 2012 11.52pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
Isn't it the mayor's mandate to take care of London, not elsewhere? That's why they have politicians etc abroad. Any arrangement that Ken had was no doubt reciprocal; as I recall, they were getting the benefit of TfL's 'experience' of running a large bus operation. What exactly has Boris done? The 'Boris Bikes' weren't in fact his and all he seems good for are gaffes which, whilst amusing, don't really do much for London or its people.

As well you might put TFL "experience" in inverted commas. They should get running London's transport system right before telling others how to do it. Anyway you slice it, the poor of Caracas were subsidising the rich of London. Whilst Chavez was giving away his country's resources, Venezuela's economy went down the tubes, inflation is now rampant and it is the murder capital of South America.
You say the "Boris Bikes" weren't Boris Johnson's, but I cannot remember them being around before Boris became Mayor. Please enlighten me as to when the first Boris bikes took to the roads?
pros Friday 27 April 2012 12.14am
i wish people would stop being wrong on the internet!!! :)
Pieces of Eight Friday 27 April 2012 9.03am
pros wrote:

Thank you for your well constructed rejoinder. Now perhaps you would care to elucidate as to who (in your opinion) is wrong, and why.
Gavin Smith Friday 27 April 2012 9.32am
Pieces of Eight wrote:
. Whilst Chavez was giving away his country's resources, Venezuela's economy went down the tubes, inflation is now rampant and it is the murder capital of South America.

That's a whole different debate though.
urbanite Friday 27 April 2012 9.35am
Gavin Smith wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:
. Whilst Chavez was giving away his country's resources, Venezuela's economy went down the tubes, inflation is now rampant and it is the murder capital of South America.

That's a whole different debate though.

Exactly...and whilst history may be a guide to the future what I really want to know is what either Boris or Ken really intend to do during the next 5 years...not just the wishes they may have...and how much its going to cost us all. Anyone got anything on this?
bdim Friday 27 April 2012 12.28pm
It would be good if policies were discussed both by the candidates and also here! Instead, the discussion here so often (rather sadly) appears to simply mimic that amongst the candidates with personal attacks being the norm.

So, on policies my vote is for Ken. His plan for a London Lettings Agency is a particularly valuable initiative and I also like his transport plans (the SMART parking idea is intriguing and desire to both review and extend the cycle hire scheme south of the river). I could go on .. but his manifesto is available on his website. As for his record, it is clearly not perfect but I do appreciate a number of the things that were achieved (like the overground network and congestion charge) and do feel that (i) his activities were driven by a coherent position concerned with the needs of Londoners and (ii) that he was brave in pushing through decisions that were not necessarily vote winners.
Rambling Phil Friday 27 April 2012 1.07pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
pros wrote:

Thank you for your well constructed rejoinder. Now perhaps you would care to elucidate as to who (in your opinion) is wrong, and why.

I suspect pros was referring to this: Duty Calls
pros Friday 27 April 2012 2.59pm
thank you, yes i was! :)
mickysalt Friday 27 April 2012 11.11pm
I agree with what Michael Portilo said on This week.
"All the candidates should get the same airtime".
Its not a national general election.
DarJoLe Sunday 29 April 2012 9.31pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
You say the "Boris Bikes" weren't Boris Johnson's, but I cannot remember them being around before Boris became Mayor. Please enlighten me as to when the first Boris bikes took to the roads?

11th February 2008 when they were unveiled by Ken Livingstone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaHwmy9WjE8

I'm surprised they weren't dubbed the 'Kencycles', but back then the press weren't really interested in nicknaming everything launched by the Mayor.
Current: 14 of 20

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions