Are we electing a new Mayor?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 20
londonbridge69 Sunday 1 April 2012 10.19am
Is it my imagination or is London about to sleepwalk in to electing or re-electing a mayor? Seen no evidence of canvassing where I live ( off the old kent road).. or posters.. or even more importantly a discussion of the real political issues ( soundbites on news reports excluded!) affecting London. As unimpressed as I am by politicians.. given that they want londoners to pay them for the next 4 years.. perhaps a little more effort is required ???

Advertisement

Zoe Sunday 1 April 2012 11.12am
I saw the my first political poster yesterday, a vote ken sign in a house in Roupell Street.
jpm Sunday 1 April 2012 11.44am
the political parties concentrate their efforts on where they think they can make the most impact in getting people out to vote their way.

And if you look at the Evening (please vote for Boris, plee-eeese!) Standard, you'll see it's focusing a lot of its efforts on outer London, rather than our part.

So if there's nothing going on round here, it shows the assessment of all the political parties about the attitude of voters in SE1.
jackie rokotnitz Sunday 1 April 2012 11.53am
Saw Boris for half an hour on Sky today with Dermot Moughenahan (or however he spells it) and he was VERy punchy. ANd anyway I would definitely vote for him and not Ken...alas Ken blew it BIG TIME with trips to Cuba and inviting mad Mullahs over,never mind the sucking up to anyone with a bit of dosh.
graham Sunday 1 April 2012 12.53pm
There's been some 'under the wire' campaigning like telephoning going on.
The reason Labour did poorly in Bradford is because they are focused on London.
Jules62 Sunday 1 April 2012 1.17pm
The campaigning for this year's mayoral election has so far been taking place mainly in the media: I have seen quite a few ads in the papers by the various candidates and of course the candidates have been eager to grant interviews, make statements and hold press conferences.

I am guessing that putting up posters and leafleting will begin after Easter as will door to door canvassing.
Zoe Sunday 1 April 2012 2.10pm
I saw another vote ken poster in Camden this morning, plus about 5 new tesco expresses.
boroughpaul Sunday 1 April 2012 4.09pm
i don't think we are electing a new mayor, just re-electing the current one. Ken Livingstone appears to be on the verge of alienating many key always-voters (e.g.Jews, Gays) and revelations of his dodgy tax record makes hime look rather tainted. Boris is touring outer London saying all the right things to the people who elected him last time and almost certainly will do so again. as for Brian Paddick ...no chance
hydrometer Sunday 1 April 2012 6.26pm
The result is obviously going to be a head to head between Boris and Ken. I reckon Boris will take it. The more interesting point is who is going to make third place?
pros Sunday 1 April 2012 10.10pm
there's going to be quite a few hustings events (see here for as extensive a list as we could muster - another discussion on disability will be added tomorrow) - the guardian are doing a poll which you can see & take here
none of it terribly 'local' but the southwark cyclists, for example, will be attending the transport Q&A and hope to ask a question. dave hill's blog is interesting, as he asked people to suggest the policies for the 'ideal' mayor.
x
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 20

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions