Are we electing a new Mayor?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 11 of 20
boroughpaul Tuesday 24 April 2012 12.37pm
and who has viley homophobic friends??
beingjdc Tuesday 24 April 2012 1.38pm
boroughpaul wrote:
and who has viley homophobic friends??

Not a lot in it, is there - one lead candidate has homophobic friends, the other lead candidate said that if we allowed gays to get married we might as well let people marry their pet dogs, or words to that effect.
Nick Tuesday 24 April 2012 2.05pm
One candidate actually has a political record of standing up for gay rights since the 1980's when it was highly controversial. You'll recall, for example, the homophobic campaign run against Peter Tatchell...

To portray Ken Livingstone as homophobic is simply ludicrous. The "concentration camp guard" gibe he made was at a journalist who he felt was harrassing people at Chris Smith's civil partenrship ceremony.

Livingstone uses Nazi as a term of abuse 'cos he hates Nazis. It may be a bit crass but I hope we all support the general sentiment.
Pieces of Eight Tuesday 24 April 2012 3.34pm
Nick wrote:
One candidate actually has a political record of standing up for gay rights since the 1980's when it was highly controversial. You'll recall, for example, the homophobic campaign run against Peter Tatchell...
To portray Ken Livingstone as homophobic is simply ludicrous. The "concentration camp guard" gibe he made was at a journalist who he felt was harrassing people at Chris Smith's civil partenrship ceremony.

Livingstone uses Nazi as a term of abuse 'cos he hates Nazis. It may be a bit crass but I hope we all support the general sentiment.

Nobody is calling Livingston homophobic. He has however been seen in the company of individuals who have extreme views regarding homosexuals.
My assertion that Livingston's recent "Jews are rich" gaffe would have chimed with the Nazi propaganda machine was viewed by Zoe as being "disrespectful" of holocaust victims. Surely then Livingston's nazi guard comparison is disrespectful also.
I do recall that when Livingston was challenged regarding his invite to the loathesome Al Quaradawi, he said that it is important to engage with people you may not necessarily agree with. Rather strange then that he will not share a debate platform with the BNP candidate. Let's face it, Al Quaradawi's views on Jews are pretty similar to the BNP's, so I would have thought that Livingston would have jumped at the chance. It appears that an individual with a religion-based fascist idealogy is more acceptable to livingston than an individual with a politically-based fascist ideaology.
Pieces of Eight Tuesday 24 April 2012 5.54pm
Nick wrote:

To portray Ken Livingstone as homophobic is simply ludicrous. .

Livingstone may not be homophobic but he sure as s**t doesn't mind working for people who are.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QD4OpsT61Hc

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/sep/07/iran-executes-men-homosexuality-charges
Rambling Phil Tuesday 24 April 2012 6.03pm
This is really tedious playground politics.

Has anyone got anything to say about their respective policies? Or their records in, for example, long-term strategic planning, or addressing real problems, such as the accommodation crisis, the living wage, or crime?
Pieces of Eight Tuesday 24 April 2012 6.34pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
This is really tedious playground politics.
Has anyone got anything to say about their respective policies? Or their records in, for example, long-term strategic planning, or addressing real problems, such as the accommodation crisis, the living wage, or crime?

It really makes no difference what their policies are. With the current squeeze on public money, they're going to find it nigh on impossible to deliver on any of their grandiose schemes. The London mayor and GLA was an unnecessary extra tier of government installed when Labour was in under the guise of "giving power back to the people". In reality, it was a way of sharing around the blame if things went wrong. A friend of mine went to one of livingston's shindigs and he said that Livingston spent the entire time telling all and sundry that he can't do this particular thing or deliver on that particular promise because his hands were tied by central government. If I had been there and had availed of the refreshments, I would have asked the obvious question, "so why the hell do we have a mayor?"
A mayor and legislature that was voted for by 72% of a voter turnout which was 34% of the London electorate. Democracy in action!
That said, if we are going to have a useless figurehead, give me a tousle haired buffoon over an oily little political has-been anytime!
Zoe Tuesday 24 April 2012 8.31pm
Why on earth are commenting them if you think the office is a waste of space. You just seem intent on smearing Livingstone and saying how much you dislike certain Muslims.
Zoe Tuesday 24 April 2012 8.34pm
Off subject, but I was post 100,005....oooooooo!
Pieces of Eight Tuesday 24 April 2012 9.28pm
Zoe wrote:
Why on earth are commenting them if you think the office is a waste of space. You just seem intent on smearing Livingstone and saying how much you dislike certain Muslims.

Anyone but livingston

Incidentally, I was post 100,000!
Current: 11 of 20

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions