Are we electing a new Mayor?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 13 of 20
mickysalt Wednesday 25 April 2012 11.25pm
Ken Livingston fuled the corrupt politics of the credit crunch.
Manifested in an over reliance on financial services and sky scrapers, to manufacture a false economy,
That crashed.
Will he be a different animal if re-elected ?
I donít want the opportunity to find out.
marcusm Thursday 26 April 2012 2.35pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
boroughpaul wrote:
The Green Party woman has no chance but she has directed her voters to give their second preference to Ken Livingstone so a vote for her is in effect a vote for Ken. Who is Siobhan?
I'm confused: are you saying one shouldn't vote for her because you don't know who she is?
She's been active for many years. Is it her fault, or yours, that you claim to have no knowledge of who she is?

Ivanhoe

The "Green Party woman" is not Siobhan; has the latter been active for a number of years because I have never heard of her. She states that she is a senior official from the Cabinet Office who has stepped down from her post to run for mayor. Has she been involved in local politics?
Gavin Smith Thursday 26 April 2012 3.33pm
There's a lot of 'Ken bashing'. Whilst his methods may be unorthodox, Ken did things for Londoners like getting cheap fuel from the Venezuelans for London Buses and introduced free travel for teenagers on the buses. He has, in my opinion, done the right thing for Londoners time and time again. I'm not one of these Ken promoters, but I would rather have him as mayor that any of the other candidates.
Ivanhoe Thursday 26 April 2012 3.54pm
marcusm wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
boroughpaul wrote:
The Green Party woman has no chance but she has directed her voters to give their second preference to Ken Livingstone so a vote for her is in effect a vote for Ken. Who is Siobhan?
I'm confused: are you saying one shouldn't vote for her because you don't know who she is?
She's been active for many years. Is it her fault, or yours, that you claim to have no knowledge of who she is?

Ivanhoe

The "Green Party woman" is not Siobhan; has the latter been active for a number of years because I have never heard of her. She states that she is a senior official from the Cabinet Office who has stepped down from her post to run for mayor. Has she been involved in local politics?

My apologies. From boroughpaul's post, I assumed that she was.

...if you press it, they will come.
boroughonian Thursday 26 April 2012 4.05pm
Siobhan is an independant candidate,a former civil servant.
Pieces of Eight Thursday 26 April 2012 4.26pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
There's a lot of 'Ken bashing'. Whilst his methods may be unorthodox, Ken did things for Londoners like getting cheap fuel from the Venezuelans for London Buses

One of the richest cities in the world taking the resources cheaply from a poor country. Isn't that what the British Empire used to do? Nice one Ken.
Gavin Smith Thursday 26 April 2012 4.31pm
Isn't it the mayor's mandate to take care of London, not elsewhere? That's why they have politicians etc abroad. Any arrangement that Ken had was no doubt reciprocal; as I recall, they were getting the benefit of TfL's 'experience' of running a large bus operation. What exactly has Boris done? The 'Boris Bikes' weren't in fact his and all he seems good for are gaffes which, whilst amusing, don't really do much for London or its people.
lucysalisbury Thursday 26 April 2012 5.08pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
There's a lot of 'Ken bashing'. Whilst his methods may be unorthodox, Ken did things for Londoners like getting cheap fuel from the Venezuelans for London Buses and introduced free travel for teenagers on the buses. He has, in my opinion, done the right thing for Londoners time and time again. I'm not one of these Ken promoters, but I would rather have him as mayor that any of the other candidates.

Ken's cosying up to Chavez was one of the more nauseating aspects of his time in office, IMHO, along with the whole embracing hate preachers thing.

Free travel for teenagers has meant my bus is packed with overweight school kids going three bus stops to school in the morning when they could easily be walking. And why should rich middle-class teens be entitled to free bus travel?
boroughonian Thursday 26 April 2012 7.00pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
Gavin Smith wrote:
There's a lot of 'Ken bashing'. Whilst his methods may be unorthodox, Ken did things for Londoners like getting cheap fuel from the Venezuelans for London Buses

One of the richest cities in the world taking the resources cheaply from a poor country. Isn't that what the British Empire used to do? Nice one Ken.

You don't give the Venezualans mush credit do you?

If I remember right we were paying for it at a price they set,I also remember Ken getting right royally snubbed by Chavez when he went out there to see him,there not mugs.
boroughpaul Thursday 26 April 2012 7.59pm
loony dictators, homophobic mullahs, IRA terrorists...all on livingstons xmas card list
Current: 13 of 20


To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions