Abbey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 3 April 2012 2.29pm
Bit curious as exactly where Abbey street begins, I thought it started at junction of Bermondsey street, having just received the mayor of london route network map event days etc., had to take a secon d look when I saw Long Lane described as Long Street!

Then I am sure I saw on here a few years back that part was actually called Abbey Street? looked on Google Map and it seems to be called Long Lane, but still think it is Abbey Street!

Good start if it is wrong apart from the Long Street bit!
Tuesday 3 April 2012 2.33pm
I always thought that Abbey st started the other side of tbr,I also seem to remember that the first part was se1 but further down it was se16.
Tuesday 3 April 2012 2.41pm
Abbey Street's western end (and Long Lane's eastern end) is at the Bermondsey Street junction.

Google Maps is wrong. You can always tell when a local business or organisation has based its own sketch map of the locality on Google Maps as they make this same error.

I've reported this via Google Maps' error reporting system several times but it's never been fixed.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 3 April 2012 2.54pm
Thanks James, my memory must be improving...:-) I wonder if the Mayors Office reads this Forum! If printing thousands of these at considerable cost, some minion should have checked....( my favourite word at the moment, minion!)
Tuesday 3 April 2012 3.55pm
Stands to reason I suppose,you would think that Abbey st would contain the area where the abbey was.
Tuesday 3 April 2012 4.45pm
Oh yes, well spotted! I guess it's a common mistake to think Long Lane continues from Bermondsey Street to TBR, but it's impressive that they managed to mis-name the road 'Long Street'
Jac
Thursday 5 April 2012 7.17am
boroughonian wrote:
Stands to reason I suppose,you would think that Abbey st would contain the area where the abbey was.
and Tower Bridge road is a relatively new road. I have copy of a map on my wall that does not have TBR and so it makes perfect sence that Abbey street starts at junction of Bermondsey street
Thursday 5 April 2012 8.05pm
It's down right on Bing Maps though, on the bird's eye view, at least.
Saturday 7 April 2012 11.03am
Someone needs to tell Southwark Council, it is wrong on their website!!! How bad is that if they don't even know where a road starts and finishes what else don't the know? It's not like its a new road.
Sunday 29 April 2012 6.28pm
Google Maps has now been corrected: http://g.co/maps/3nae5

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network