Tower Bridge New Lighting - First look

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 3 April 2012 7.53pm
The new lighting scheme had been turned on this morning on the North East side of Tower Bridge. (Excuse the poor quality of the iPhone shot at 6am today).

It will certainly highlight the features of the structure but I was wondering how it will look when they turn the old floodlights off (which I seem to recall was also part of the new plan?). I have always liked the way the bridge has been completely bathed in light and I wonder if the same effect will be achieved with the LEDs. Will have to wait and see!

Regardless, it certainly adds a bit of bling to the metal work and if the LEDs can change colour then it opens up a whole world of possibilities!

Related news & features

Tuesday 3 April 2012 8.03pm
Looks good: I like it.
Tuesday 3 April 2012 8.13pm
They can change color. The other bridges are getting the same treatment - should be rather impressive!

This is also good because Westminster haven't replaced any of the downlighters in Hungerford Bridge since it was built, I counted 73 blown bulbs on the western side.
Tuesday 3 April 2012 9.29pm
I thought the "Switched On London" Bluetooth project back in 2007 was brilliant.

Short video here.
Wednesday 4 April 2012 7.56am
Lovely. Not sure about the elec.bill though...
Wednesday 4 April 2012 8.44am
Leds will be vastly cheaper than halogen floodlights.
Thursday 5 April 2012 9.59pm
The elec bill will be much cheaper, and they will change from white>red>green>blue.........should look good......i expect the Shard to have similar !
Sunday 15 April 2012 7.44pm
I am SO upset about the new lighting of Tower Bridge. The old floodlights wonderfully showed the impressive architecture and structure of the bridge. With the new led's just the outline is illuminated like the rides at a funfair. So sad and a great loss for one of London's great landmarks.
OK it will be cheaper to run, and will be 'sexy' changing colour, but I cannot see that this is progress. Such a shame!
Monday 16 April 2012 9.06am
I agree with Butlers. I hope the proper lighting is reinstated onTower Bridge after the Olympics thing is over.
Saturday 21 April 2012 9.15pm
Hmm seeing just the outline of the bridge, I donít know.
I think they need the flood lights as well.
Im looking forward to seeing the Olympic rings though.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: