Byron Burgers on The Cut

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 4 April 2012 2.08pm
i noticed this has opened today (4th april) , menu looks good and it was busy inside,

anyone tried it yet , if so any good ?
S.G
Wednesday 4 April 2012 2.15pm
I've been to Byron in one New Change and Islington and it is a pretty decent chain with lots of nice little sides like macaroni cheese! Definitely worth a visit! S
Wednesday 4 April 2012 2.42pm
A Byron burger is a great thing, ninja... though I seem to remember not everyone on this board shares the same view...
Wednesday 4 April 2012 3.01pm
I've been to their other places. Lovely, amazing sides, but very average burger. Ordered medium rare and the burger was so well done it was hard. Sent it back and got slightly less well done. Would give it another go I guess.
Wednesday 4 April 2012 3.09pm
SG. What is maccaroni cheese ? Just to clarify.. Nothing more.

I hope they did not charge you for that? :)

I am always amazed how name and dishes get distorted. I guess in this case is one of those precooked pasta rolls filled with what should be ricotta but it is too expensive... So they fill with bad cheese.. Namely this would be cannelloni ripieni..
Let's stick to burgers inside Byron. :)
Wednesday 4 April 2012 3.20pm
I get the impression Macaroni Cheese is an Italian American thing, like deep pan pizza.

It goes from yucky, in a tin type stuff, to really quite nice, if you make the cheese sauce from a good roux, flavoured with dry white wine, garlic and good Italian cheese: aged Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino. Better when you add pancetta, chilli...but that wouldn't be strictly Mac and Cheese.
Wednesday 4 April 2012 3.40pm
lucysalisbury wrote:
I get the impression Macaroni Cheese is an Italian American thing, like deep pan pizza.
It goes from yucky, in a tin type stuff, to really quite nice, if you make the cheese sauce from a good roux, flavoured with dry white wine, garlic and good Italian cheese: aged Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino. Better when you add pancetta, chilli...but that wouldn't be strictly Mac and Cheese.

<<< taken note of that "recipe" and will try it next time before night shifts (will have to leave the wine out though ! )

:)
Wednesday 4 April 2012 4.13pm
Hey - thanks!

You'll need another liquid if you're leaving out wine. Milk would do :)
Wednesday 4 April 2012 4.36pm
I see.. it is an "hijacked" version of "Maccaroni alla pastorella". From Calabria. Delicious.

But it is with pork sausage and pork mince, egg and dry aged ricotta as "cheese".

Herbs are bay leaves, onion and fennel seeds, some flour (not herb :)).

fresh olive oil, black pepper and salt.Wine is red and smooth.

In the oven. I think there are also some recipes on line.

But guys this thing is NOT a side.. this is gonna fill you up to the ears. But yes is delicious.

PS: pasta should be done home in slices and cut small and rolled. Then filled. I guess you can ready buy from supermarkets.. not sure

Otherwise there is the small industrial version of maccaroni.
Wednesday 4 April 2012 4.44pm
Hey I found a random one... but remember the ricotta is aged, dry and strong, like a pecorino, otherwise is flat.
There might be better ones on line, this is a translation. This sauce alla pastorella can go on many variety of pasta. As long as they are holed (hollow and long)..

Buon appetito

http://www.chefwithaview.com/?p=10796
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: