TV reception problems

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 12 April 2012 12.22am
Boss St Bloke wrote:
Jules62 wrote:
Guys, I experienced the same issues, but have found the solution: don't re-tune but restore factory settings instead.
I did this, and it worked fine, while re-tuning had no effect.

That's not good advice. Folks should re-tune as per recommendations.

Restoring to factory settings may have fixed you and your problems - but it will wipe out all software updates and any setting folks have saved.

Yes: it did replace some of my settings (my favourite list of channels: I had to re-select these, but not those related to picture, audio etc.

It did not wipe out my software updates. But even if it did, performing a software update is a fast procedure.
Thursday 12 April 2012 8.05pm
I dont't see an option for restoring factory settings on my Samsung TV, only for auto- and manual-rescan.
Thursday 12 April 2012 8.34pm
Andrew H wrote:
I dont't see an option for restoring factory settings on my Samsung TV, only for auto- and manual-rescan.

I also own a Samsung TV.

You will find the option for restoring factory settings by pressing the D MENU button: a menu will come up from which you should select the System option.
You will now see the Reset option. When you select it, you will be asked for a pin: use the default 0000 (numerals).

A warning will appear stating that all channel settings and preferences will be lost.

Now press the RED, GREEN, YELLOW AND BLUE buttons and the process will begin.

This can take a while, so don't perform the procedure if you are about to watch one of your favourite shows.

Good luck!
Thursday 12 April 2012 8.53pm
Further to my earlier entry, I retuned my Samsung TV again yesterday and, lo-and-behold, ALL the missing channels reappeared, perfectly.

However, today, the total pixilation has returned on all but the BBC channels!

I really don't think there will be a permanent return to good reception until on or after the 18th.
Thursday 12 April 2012 9.57pm
Philpotts24 wrote:
Further to my earlier entry, I retuned my Samsung TV again yesterday and, lo-and-behold, ALL the missing channels reappeared, perfectly.
However, today, the total pixilation has returned on all but the BBC channels!

I really don't think there will be a permanent return to good reception until on or after the 18th.

My reception of all BBC channels is crystal. For BBC One, my Signal Information is as follows:

Service: BBC ONE

SERVICE ID: 1077, running

Multiplex: 23C (TISD1044, ONID 233a)

Network: (ID 3070)

Bit error level: 0

Signal Strength: 84

Your problems may be related to your antenna (aerial) set-up: try to point it towards the Crystal Palace transmitter.

Of course any physical obstructions (other buildings etc) will degrade the strength of the signal.

Also worth checking, is all your in house arial cabling.
Friday 13 April 2012 9.14am
I retuned my TV last week (it is only through a set-top aerial, not roof-top) and across the board pretty much all channels have improved.
Sunday 15 April 2012 11.30pm
I have an elderly analogue TV set and poor reception with a powered set top ariel.

I gave up when I found out what a roof ariel would cost on top of a new TV. Mine doesn't even have a scart socket but it worked-ish with a set top ariel with a lot of snow and bad sound except for channel 5 which I couldn't get at all. Now I'm not going to be able to get anything and really don't much care.

I don't want and can't afford Virgin (evil) or Sky (dish prohibited by lease and thats fine by me!)

The BBC licensing dept refunded some of the money I'd paid up front and said someone might come round and check on me. I said no worries.

If they can come round and get me a watchable/listenable picture on a 30 year old TV with no ariel next to a railway viaduct and ever higher skyscrapers being built every day, and on digital, I'll cheerfully pay the licence fee.

I'm perfectly happy watching my DVDS or, rarely, the few interesting things available a day later on iPlayer, 3, 4, 5 on demand.
Tuesday 17 April 2012 8.30pm
Davies wrote:
I have an elderly analogue TV set and poor reception with a powered set top ariel.
I gave up when I found out what a roof ariel would cost on top of a new TV. Mine doesn't even have a scart socket but it worked-ish with a set top ariel with a lot of snow and bad sound except for channel 5 which I couldn't get at all. Now I'm not going to be able to get anything and really don't much care.

I don't want and can't afford Virgin (evil) or Sky (dish prohibited by lease and thats fine by me!)

The BBC licensing dept refunded some of the money I'd paid up front and said someone might come round and check on me. I said no worries.

If they can come round and get me a watchable/listenable picture on a 30 year old TV with no ariel next to a railway viaduct and ever higher skyscrapers being built every day, and on digital, I'll cheerfully pay the licence fee.

I'm perfectly happy watching my DVDS or, rarely, the few interesting things available a day later on iPlayer, 3, 4, 5 on demand.

Since the analogue TV signal will be turned off in London tonight, you are no longer in possession of a device that receives the television signal, so you no longer need a TV licence.

"London analogue TV signal to be switched off

The analogue television signal in London is being switched off.

BBC One, ITV1, Channel Four and Channel Five will stop transmitting on analogue overnight. The BBC Two signal was stopped earlier this month.

It means people will need to convert televisions to receive the digital signal and Freeview viewers also need to retune.

An estimated 12 million viewers are affected in the London area, but most homes have already switched to digital.

Roadshows have taken place throughout the city to help people who are yet to make the change.

Advice points, run by volunteers, are also available in local communities and there is a hotline for people who want information.

To mark the switchover the Crystal Palace transmitter, in south London, will be lit up on Wednesday night with 200,000 watts of energy efficient lighting at a ceremony attended by Sir David Attenborough and DJ Chris Evans.

Television broadcasts in London have come from the tower since 1956.
"

Source

Perhaps it's time to take the plunge and upgrade your telly: there are many cheap options, and it's worth checking out what Richer Sounds in London Bridge have to offer.
Thursday 19 April 2012 11.38pm
Sunday 22 April 2012 11.03pm
Jules62 wrote:
Davies wrote:

Since the analogue TV signal will be turned off in London tonight, you are no longer in possession of a device that receives the television signal, so you no longer need a TV licence.

"London analogue TV signal to be switched off

The analogue television signal in London is being switched off.

BBC One, ITV1, Channel Four and Channel Five will stop transmitting on analogue overnight. The BBC Two signal was stopped earlier this month.

It means people will need to convert televisions to receive the digital signal and Freeview viewers also need to retune.

An estimated 12 million viewers are affected in the London area, but most homes have already switched to digital.

Roadshows have taken place throughout the city to help people who are yet to make the change.

Advice points, run by volunteers, are also available in local communities and there is a hotline for people who want information.

To mark the switchover the Crystal Palace transmitter, in south London, will be lit up on Wednesday night with 200,000 watts of energy efficient lighting at a ceremony attended by Sir David Attenborough and DJ Chris Evans.

Television broadcasts in London have come from the tower since 1956.
"

Source

Perhaps it's time to take the plunge and upgrade your telly: there are many cheap options, and it's worth checking out what Richer Sounds in London Bridge have to offer.

Which bit of "No roof ariel and do you know what that costs" did you not understand?

My TV is dead and if all it will get alive is Simon Cowell I'm very happy!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network