Nimby Council at Maltby Street.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Saturday 7 April 2012 11.01am
I went this morning for my weekly Saturday trip for a coffee at Monmouth in their Maltby Steet arch. It's become a local meeting point for a lot of young families who come for a chat, a coffee and pastry. I meet my daughters there and often bring friends along to show them the area. It has a great friendly community atmosphere. This morning we were informed that the Council has restricted Monmouth to just seven chairs for people to sit on! Clearly they don't trust the 'great unwashed' public to sit in an orderly manner and therefore unless you are one of the lucky seven are required by the Council to stand in penance. To my mind this just ranks as officious interference and lack of trust in the publics ability to look after themselves.
Saturday 7 April 2012 6.35pm
So, why not make your representations to the council?
Sunday 8 April 2012 10.07am
In the scale of things this is a pretty innocuous matter it's just an annoying example of officious interference. Thanks for the suggestion and I have made a representation.
Sunday 8 April 2012 1.37pm
It's so busy when I've been there I usually sit on the ground. Don't see what the council can do about that...
Sunday 8 April 2012 10.36pm
Davies wrote:
It's so busy when I've been there I usually sit on the ground. Don't see what the council can do about that...

Perhaps they will prosecute you?
Monday 9 April 2012 7.45am
It's a shame that Southwark Council have never been as officious with the hordes of people congregating outside the Market Porter pub on Stoney Street, drinks in hand, blocking the pavement and road.
Monday 9 April 2012 9.44am
I agree with Pieces of Eight: Whilst EV has made Isobela Street green and wonderful, it's almost impossible to walk down there on a Thursday and Friday night and it is a public highway. Jack's in particular, seem happy to allow its customers to drink out on the street at all hours and make lots of noise. Southwark Council don't seem to be bothered about this obstruction - and noise pollution.
Monday 9 April 2012 10.32am
Pieces of Eight wrote:
It's a shame that Southwark Council have never been as officious with the hordes of people congregating outside the Market Porter pub on Stoney Street, drinks in hand, blocking the pavement and road.

I believe they have, the staff there try to 'police' the hordes by defining an area of the pavement with tape. Unfortunately the boundary is regularly ignored by drinkers, and in any event anyone trying to walk past the pub is always forced into the road.
Monday 9 April 2012 10.46am
I'm all for pedestrianisaton, but until that decision is made I think the council does have to control spontansous obstrucion. I've had trouble cycling through at the junction of Maltby Street and Tanner Street, though that was ages ago and I only went that way because I forgot about it.

If I remember correctly, people had to be hit by vehicles before The Fire Station pub in Waterloo was threatened with having it's license withdrawn.
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3555

Ten minutes ago I noticed that Cable have completely blocked the pavement on Bermondsey Street with barriers. Lots of people walking in the road.

Which part of Southwark is Southwark Council's back yard?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: