Choir

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 8 April 2012 8.02pm
Just moved to SE1, can't sing or read music, but love the idea of singing in a rock/soul/gospel choir. Anyone know of one in the area?
Sunday 8 April 2012 9.52pm
Although it is not SE1, there is the South London Community Choir in Balham. I sang there for a while and really liked it. No need to read music and they sing anything from Mozart to Abba.
Monday 9 April 2012 9.17am
There are choirs of many different types at Morley College.
Tuesday 10 April 2012 10.22am
I can highly recommend Koruso! The Southwark Community Choir

I started this almost four years ago and it's still growing strong. Around 50 members meet Thursday evenings at Oliver Goldsmiths Primary School on Peckham Road from 6.30pm to 8.30pm.

It's not SE1-based but is a borough-wide project - with members and performances across Southwark. They've just had their spring concert and are now working towards a summer concert on July 14 and will be hosting the first leg of an exchange visit with a German choir from Langenhagen (twinned with Southwark) in February 2013. The German choir is called Choir Under Fire and both choirs will perform at an SE1 venue (TBC) on Saturday 16 February 2013.

There's lots more info on the website: www.koruso.org.uk

You'll see there that they have a free taster session on Thursday 19 April from 6.30pm, but you can go along any Thursday evening and 'sound' them out. Just tell them I sent you. I'm not involved as regularly as I used to be but I continue to support them in any way I can and I hope to make a return to the tenor section soon.
Tuesday 10 April 2012 11.16am
Thank you so much! They sound fab, but Balham is just that step too far for me to make it there after work in time. I've enrolled in the Morley College 'Can't Sing Choir' class which is also on a Tuesday evening, but much closer to home. Fingers crossed!
Tuesday 10 April 2012 12.00pm
I can recommend the "can't sing" choir at Morley - great fun and you get to sing a variety of pieces.

When I joined it in about 94 or 95 the Evening Standard did a piece on the choir, and following on from that Channel 4's Big Breakfast had us on, and CNN also filmed us!

It's really great for boosting your confidence and is very supportive.
Tuesday 10 April 2012 12.52pm
No sooner said than done, Aunty Pat - I start next Tuesday. Thank you!
Thursday 12 April 2012 6.14pm
Sounds like you're pretty well sorted, but just thought I'd also let you know about Chirp's singing workshops!

We have a one-off session coming up on Saturday 28th April, from 12 - 1:30pm. It's at the Pullens Centre on Crampton St, SE17 3AE about 5 mins from Elephant & Castle tube.

It's open to everyone, there's no sight-reading, and you don't need any singing experience. A great way to dust off the vocal chords!

Spring Clean Sing

Just drop us a line if you'd like to come along.

Happy singing, wherever it should be!

Kamala
Saturday 14 April 2012 9.23pm
The first Musical Director of Koruso was Andrea Brown, now head of music at Morley College. She also coached the Can't Sing Choir (may still do)and is inspirational.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: