Drug Dealing on the Draper Estate

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
graham Wednesday 11 April 2012 2.28pm
There's about a dozen cameras, and real time monitoring opportunity in the concierge office.
Jules62 Wednesday 11 April 2012 4.13pm
In addition to the array of cameras deployed in and around the Draper Estate, the concierge staff conduct several daily foot patrols.

Question boils down to what exactly is the role and remit of the concierge: what action are they supposed to take if they witness a crime being committed on the estate grounds? Do they call the police? Do they record and save video footage so that it may be handed to the investigators?
NeilCoyle Wednesday 11 April 2012 5.15pm
As a local cllr I am very aware of this issue which the Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT) - your local police - believe is partly a result of moving drug dealers from other areas, causing a temporary spike in Newington. This issue was raised at the local ward panel meeting and the SNT is prioritising tackling drug dealing and related criminal activity from the north end of Walworth Road, Draper House, and parts of the Newington estate. I hope this action is useful to Draper residents and reassures actino is being taken. You are more than welcome to attend the SNT meetings and raise concerns in person/on behalf of a local tenants' association.
lucysalisbury Wednesday 11 April 2012 5.38pm
Of course, if the sale of recreational drugs was legalised, regulated and taxed, we wouldn't need to worry about this sort of thing
graham Wednesday 11 April 2012 6.32pm
Yes, everyone seems to be aware of it.
In fact everyone has been aware of it for ages.
Draper residents want something done about it,
before someone gets hurt.
NeilCoyle Wednesday 11 April 2012 9.08pm
As mentioned, local SNT are taking action based on info passed on by local people and two of your local councillors (Patrick Diamond and I) at ward panel meetings. But please do contact police directly if you see drug dealing/associated crime immediately - or call 999. I do the same if I see anything suspicious (and I only live round the corner and pass Draper House twice a day which is why I pressed for action in this area).
Jules62 Wednesday 11 April 2012 9.42pm
NeilCoyle wrote:
As mentioned, local SNT are taking action based on info passed on by local people and two of your local councillors (Patrick Diamond and I) at ward panel meetings. But please do contact police directly if you see drug dealing/associated crime immediately - or call 999. I do the same if I see anything suspicious (and I only live round the corner and pass Draper House twice a day which is why I pressed for action in this area).

Draper Estate tenants and leaseholders directly pay for the concierge service, yet the terms under which this service operates are not in the public domain.

In your position as local councilor, NeilC, would it be possible for you let us know what procedures LBS formally requires the concierge on Draper to perform in relation to crimes of a continuous nature such as regular drug dealing on the estate?

Also worth taking into consideration, would be a greater level of liaison between the security operatives at Strata and those at Draper: together they would be in a much stronger position in monitoring drug dealing, particularly since the car park area (once part of the Draper Estate, but shamefully sold off, depriving Draper residents of their parking spaces) is a likely location for wrong doings.
jamesup Wednesday 11 April 2012 9.51pm
Our (Strata) building manager is in contact with the Draper's concierge and the issue has been raised with all our staff. I'm sure if there's any CCTV evidence the police will find helpful the team will oblige.

One correction is that the basement car-park you refer to was leased for the construction of Strata but has now been returned to LBS (much of the equipment and stores for the Draper refurbishment is currently occupying it). I believe you can/will be able to rent a space from LBS if that's what you are after.
Jules62 Wednesday 11 April 2012 10.01pm
jamesup wrote:
Our (Strata) building manager is in contact with the Draper's concierge and the issue has been raised with all our staff. I'm sure if there's any CCTV evidence the police will find helpful the team will oblige.
One correction is that the basement car-park you refer to was leased for the construction of Strata but has now been returned to LBS (much of the equipment and stores for the Draper refurbishment is currently occupying it). I believe you can/will be able to rent a space from LBS if that's what you are after.

Thanks James, good to hear that Draper and Strata security are working together.

As for the car park, I wasn't referring to the underground garages (I once rented one before being turned out), but to the ground level area: it used to accommodate scores of Draper resident's cars. This is the area that would mainly benefit from this cooperation between Strata and Draper.
d90myg Monday 16 April 2012 10.13am
Saw some dodgy character in a white windowless small van in the Strata yard twice last night. Did anyone else notice that? Blaring music, some traffic in and out of the van, judging by the varying noise levels when the doors opened and closed, and then it sped off with some dodgy type with a hood up at the wheel.

Flagged this with the safer neighbourhood team, but they weren't able to respond quickly enough. They're going to try to get the CCTV footage, but the guy had broken the lights on his numberplates and there isn't much light these days in the back yard.

Speaking of blaring music, did anyone hear the insane racket around strata/draper until 3/4 in the morning last Saturday?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions