Bird watchers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 10 April 2012 6.37pm
Hi all.

Are there any bird watchers in the SE1 area?
I love to watch/film & take pictures of them, especially now as we have lots of rare birds around our area now.

I feel a bit silly though on my own, anyone else like watching the birds? Maybe we can set up a local bird watch group?

Btw, saw Ring Necked Parakeets in Tabard Gardens today!!
Tuesday 10 April 2012 6.59pm
Love it,though I am a complete amateur I just love to watch them,we have lots of blue tits and robins feeding outside our window,I don't get to see them feeding much but I hear them outside and it's lovely.
Whilst unfashionable I love magpies and crows and the battles they have,oh and the much underrated blackbird I thought it was a nightingale!
Yet to see a ring necked parakeet but when I do I shall sit and watch,even if it's on the E&C roundabout.
Tuesday 10 April 2012 7.02pm
I'm an amateur too! Let's see if we can get more people interested, maybe we can all go watch them together, talk about them etc?
I too love the Magpies, they are brilliant!
My garden, we have this Robin family which are so tame! The Greenfinches are very shy but are cute!

- Geoff
Tuesday 10 April 2012 7.08pm
Tuesday 10 April 2012 7.54pm
Cheekyg wrote:
Btw, saw Ring Necked Parakeets in Tabard Gardens today!!

Tuesday 10 April 2012 8.33pm
I agree with Spartacus, we do not need the noisy parakeets. but the bird life is amazing if you listen and watch.

I am in the Waterloo area and see wrens, house sparrows, most tits, great blue and long-tailed, jays,(shy birds of the woods!) robins, blackbirds, magpies, crows etc.

Plus the occasional peregrine, and just once, an osprey on its way up the Thames. I asked a twitcher friend and he says they rest at lakes near Canterbury and then move north.

Keep your eyes peeled.
Tuesday 10 April 2012 9.00pm
"Spartacus" has commended my photos, so he may enjoy these, previously posted in a thread "Birds of SE1" -

Goldfinch at Bermondsey Wall West:

Grey wagtail in St Saviour's Dock:

Greylag goose on the South Bank:

Harris's hawk in Tower Bridge Piazza:

Pigeon in Tower Bridge Piazza

Tuesday 10 April 2012 9.06pm
Ah, I thought I heard parakeets the other day (it would make sense that they're in Tabard Square, as that's the approximate direction I heard them from. I'm afraid my reaction was "oh no!" too. If you're walking around somewhere like Richmond Park all you can hear is their incessant squawking.

Lots of lovely bird song here (Merrick Square). Recently have been hearing a song thrush and a greater spotted woodpecker, as well as the usual blackbirds, robins, wrens, great and blue tits. Also I saw a jay in the garden on Saturday, which was pretty exciting.

Has anyone seen a nuthatch around here? It strikes me as somewhere that they might reside.
Tuesday 10 April 2012 9.08pm
Great photos there, Mark!
Tuesday 10 April 2012 10.29pm

I get Wrens, rarely, Robins, and I once saw a Goldcrest and another time a Sparrowhawk in my garden.

I put out sunflower seeds and don't use slug poison and pesticides on the garden plants because so many birds, including Sparrows eat the greenfly and other insects.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: