Decorating Allowance

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 16 April 2012 10.14am
Getting very peeved off with Southwark council at the moment.

Moved into my home in January and was told that a cheque would arrive for my decorating allowance within six weeks.

Well am still waiting for the elusive cheque, spoke to an officer for my housing area and was told that there was a problem across the board with issuing the cheques and that I would receive it within the next two weeks(that was nearly a month ago).

Does anyone know who deals with this at the council, as everytime I try to call there is only an answer phone, and no one ever returns my calls.

Need the money to pay my rent so that is why I am so annoyed at having to wait this long.
Monday 16 April 2012 11.52am
private message or
email me office@grahamneale.com[/url]
Monday 23 April 2012 11.17pm
Are you supposed to use the decorating allowance to pay your rent?
Monday 12 November 2012 10.43am
Hi I clareandbarney can I ask have you had any luck with the decoration allowance? We have been calling everyday and the first person they gave us just goes straight to voicemail and when we leave message they don't even reply. Then they emailed the resolution team and said to wait till reply in 48hrs and then no reply so I call back and get passed on from one person to the other and the switch board says that names I'm being given they don't have on system. Total crap. Why give something to someone then not? We moved in to place with no flooring and in very bad condition. Plus I have 2yr old and am pregnant ridiculous how bad the councils customer service skill are. Anyway let me know if you we're successful and how long it took too finally receive allowance.... If you did?
Monday 12 November 2012 2.10pm
Decoration allowance, what is that ? I Mean get free/subsidise hosing and money to fix it upů a parallel universe.
Monday 12 November 2012 2.21pm
Council used to provide housing liveable by basic flooring and decoration. Now they give a small allowance for you to do it yourself instead of them paying for decorators. And it's not free council housing and not cheap. Maybe years ago but certainly not now.
Monday 12 November 2012 9.14pm
Many years ago every 3 years the Council would decorate 2 rooms, then it went to 5, then 7, then the scheme was abandoned. I think in the case of very elderly or disabled who are unable to get out of the house a nicely bright cheery freshly decorated front room to sit in would be a great idea. I think they only give enough money for the paint today and some of the properties given to tenants are previously squatted and are in a dreadful state, some with sinks ripped out, baths defecated in, and even though the property is rendered habitable are regards to basic amenities cosmetically lots need to be done.
As the Council is a reputable landlord they permit a very modest amount aid new tenants..
Monday 12 November 2012 10.23pm
I believe that the Southwark Council decorate 2 rooms every 5(?) years for those in sheltered housing - a relation of mine had it done. They wallpapered one room and painted the bathroom walls but do not gloss (it was a terrible bodge job though). They decorate before a tenant takes occupation in a sheltered housing flat too.
Tuesday 13 November 2012 8.54am
Reading that Eileen I was so pleased to think that anyone in sheltered housing still has the right to a nice home..But did I read that right about they do not gloss? so they wallpaper the living room but do not paint doors,skirting,windows ? what a blooming cheek for the council taxpayers who pay for not only shoddy workmanship but half a b****y job?

I would be straight onto the managers of who ever allocates the funds for re-decs..and then my local councillor, cant stand vulnerable people being taken advantage of.

p.s. YNB79 two years ago whilst working I paid ú1,300 for a decorator to paint my hall,bedroom,living room, and yes I am one of your beloved urine taking council tenants!
Tuesday 13 November 2012 9.47am
When we moved in the place was dirty flooring was broken up tiles with some rooms had nails sticking up where old carpet used to be. The place had a white dust everywhere it was really bad. When we asked about flooring they said no just a little towards paint but would take within 6 weeks. We have been calling for weeks on end but it goes straight to person who is meant to deal with the allowances voicemail and no mater how many messages I leave they never get back to me. Anyone recently get the allowance? And if so how long it take? Thanks

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: