Bomb damage The Ring SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 17 April 2012 3.43pm
I live next to The Ring in Blackfriars Rd and virtually opposite Nelson Square and wondered if there had been any damage to my property during the war , just wondered if any one knew, or if there were any pics of that area, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance
Tuesday 17 April 2012 5.28pm
Hi pokpoolrobin, at least in this thread we discussed some of the bomb damage around here http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/38487/page=2

I know that the building called the Ring, formerly Rowland Hill's Surrey Chapel was damaged beyond repair and much of Nelson Square. I have seen some photos of what was left standing in Nelson Square just before they demolished almost all of it before building the estate in 1957.
Zoe
Wednesday 18 April 2012 1.47pm
Great pictures and there's still a bus stop under the bridge!

You really get a sense of how it must have been for people living around here, and I didn't know the damage to the bridge was from bomb damage.

If only we still had those trams...
Wednesday 18 April 2012 3.33pm
Oh and there is the ironmongers in the corner, where the dog and pot sign is now being returned!
Zoe
Wednesday 18 April 2012 6.37pm
Just noticed the dog statue, that's really wonderful. Wouldn't it have been great if The Ring had survived.

I wonder if the trams were the number 63 and 45!
Thursday 19 April 2012 12.33pm
The incident occurred on 25 October 1940 when a high explosive bomb came through the railway bridge. Six trams were sheltering under the bridge. Three were totally destroyed, one badly damaged and two lightly damaged.

Six people were killed. There is also a story of young resident of Nelson Square going to the aid of a female passenger. As he picked up up, her head fell off. It must have have being so distressing for the young lad.

On a lighter note, stocks of cigarettes from Mr Pinkin's Kiosk had to be removed to the local Wardens' Post for safekeeping.

The Ring was damaged beyond repair and the pub on the opposite corner (now The Ring) was The Railway.

The area was badly hit all through the Night Blitz, particularly on 16/17 April 1941-a gift to Hitler from the Luftwaffe to celebrate his birthday on the 20th. 57 people were killed in Wakelin's Bakery whilst sheltering in the cellar.
Zoe
Thursday 19 April 2012 2.27pm
It's nearly 75 years, we should think about a commemoration in 2015.
Thursday 19 April 2012 6.04pm
Someone told me that the land under the bakery - now The Young Vic - was later consecrated to ensure that any 'remains' where buried on consecrated land. As little as 10 years ago, a relative of someone killed in the shelter left flowers near the Young Vic on the aniversary.
Thursday 19 April 2012 6.46pm
Neil P Bright wrote:
On a lighter note, stocks of cigarettes from Mr Pinkin's Kiosk had to be removed to the local Wardens' Post for safekeeping.

Neil,

Thanks for the fascinating info. This comment in particular highlights a little publicised fact about those war years, i.e. that it was a 'good' time for opportunists cashing in on the black market, pilfering and looting. Something we are (perhaps understandably) reluctant to acknowledge about that time.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: