Primary school palavar

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 19 April 2012 3.34pm
So last night we got the dreaded email and were told by Southwark that there was no primary school place for my son.

Actually they made a mistake (oh good!) - we had indeed been rejected, by all our preferences (including Boutcher that we live 4 doors away from), and been offered St George's Catholic Cathedral Primary School (so 2 buses instead of 2 minutes walk - thanks Southwark!!)

I put a lot more faith in word of mouth and parent's expereinces than Ofstead results and tests - so if you have any experiences/anedotes, good or bad of St George's - I would be very glad if you could share them.
Thursday 19 April 2012 3.38pm
My niece moved both her children from St Georges due to her kids being bullied. The head was not interested neither was the parents. :o(
Thursday 19 April 2012 3.39pm
oh that's not good. Was this recent?
Thursday 19 April 2012 4.21pm
I dont know if its too late for you but St Josephs Catholic Primary School in George Row is apparently fantastic -and the Headmaster a real plus.
Thursday 19 April 2012 4.24pm
shaggy wrote:
I dont know if its too late for you but St Josephs Catholic Primary School in George Row is apparently fantastic -and the Headmaster a real plus.

So is St Josephs at the Borough,though maybe a pain to get to from there.
It's odd though,you usually have to prove church attendance to get into church schools.
Zoe
Thursday 19 April 2012 4.35pm
Can you appeal?
Thursday 19 April 2012 4.59pm
This is a real injustice and happens all the time. You can appeal and it has to be heard. However, you need to be very clear on why you are appealing. As an ex-teacher, I can tell you that most appeals fail if your complaint is emotional eg 'it is not fair'. Your complaint is more likely to be won if you can find an error in their procedure or administration. The letter you received saying there was no place for your child might be the key - if they made a mistake here, where else might they have made a mistake. Good luck, I know it is a very trying experience.
Friday 20 April 2012 2.32pm
Lexxy wrote:
oh that's not good. Was this recent?

Within the last schooling year. Which was hard because the eldest is leaving this year to go secondary school, and like you has had hers rejected. :o(
Friday 20 April 2012 3.04pm
I know that this means nothing but I have just walked through ,by chance,what seemed to be the whole school (St Georges) outside,just my timing,I had to threadle through the lot of them!
All I got off of them was "sorry" from children and parents.

Really,they seemed exactly the children I would expect to be churned out of a church primary.

Lexxy go and have a look,you will see for your self and you can work out whether you like it or not.
Sunday 22 April 2012 12.48pm
When my youngest son met his Nicole Kidman look-a-like innamorata and was struck by the proverbial coup de foudre, they bought an apartment in Stoke Newington, and he enthused about the cosmopolitan style of the area.
Dad, we've got Afghan restaurants, Anatolian ones, Eritrean shops, Greek, Turkish, you name it, it's great!
Then their son was born.
As it got nearer the time when he would have to go to school they checked out those in the area.
Disillusioned, they sold at a healthy profit and re-located to Winchmore Hill.
Mrs. Pepper didn't raise any fools, after some discreet inquiries they began to attend a local church where the vicar used the same pub as my kid, even though apart from weddings and funerals my boy had never set foot in a church before.
Learning that in order to get my grandson into the excellent church school it would go a long way if the parents were married, he arranged their wedding in the Bridge Masters rooms on Tower Bridge.
Result was was that Oliver got in straightaway, and Francesca, his sister was a shoe-in when it became her turn to go to school.
Moral of the story?
Be immoral, lie through your teeth, kid those with the opportunity to pull strings and maybe get your children in the school that you want them in.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: