Faraday Memorial lighting

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 20 April 2012 10.12am
Last night I was supprised the find the Memorial has lit up:

Looked like a new set of LED lights has been installed in the casings that used to house the 1996 blue peter competition lighting scheme. Anyone know anything about this?

Related news & features

Friday 20 April 2012 7.11pm
Interesting news.
Saturday 21 April 2012 3.35pm
They actually appeared a few weeks ago and were on for a night, then off again. Wonder if it's related to the replacement of some of the billboards with digital displays? Unfortunately it looks like they've just been installed and switched on rather than being programmed to phase through colours together.
Tuesday 22 May 2012 5.31pm
"Michael Faraday's work may not resonate with all residents so this is a great opportunity to celebrate his enormous achievements."

Nice!
Tuesday 22 May 2012 7.08pm
Blimey this is going to reflect into my bedroom I fear...
Tuesday 22 May 2012 7.11pm
Eh? It's been on for weeks jackie - if you've not noticed it yet I think we'll be fine!
Tuesday 22 May 2012 9.51pm
today's news story wrote:
New digital advertising screens installed on the roundabout have been positioned to open up views of the memorial that were previously blocked by the previous static billboards

Piffle.

Is that from Primesight or Southwark's press office?
Tuesday 22 May 2012 9.56pm
Pretty sure it was mentioned in the planning officers' report on the Primesight planning application, LR.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 22 May 2012 9.59pm
So does that just mean that it is piffle written by Primesight's planning consultant and quoted uncritically by Southwark planning officers???

Edited to add - quick search of the Southwark website reveals:

This case went through under delegated decision making - probably because no one was aware of the application!

Planning Officer's Report here

The only "neighbour" consultation response was from the Council's own project director for the Elephant

Sadly, given the amount of money the ads must be raking in for Southwark, I don't expect them to go any time soon - unless a driver distracted by one of Primesight's client's displays causes a fatal accident.

The two saving graces are

(i) it is only a five year consent;

(ii) the displays are not supposed to be "animated" the changeovers are supposed to replicate the two seconds of mechanical rolling adverts.

It will be interesting to see whether there is subsequent pressure to allow animated ads - which I would hope TfL would strongly oppose on road safety grounds.
Wednesday 23 May 2012 6.42am
Jamesup....I've been in Tel Aviv for weeks! So that's why I havent seen it. But I'm arriving next week.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: