Disgrace of Bermondsey Spa

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
mart Monday 7 June 2004 3.39pm
Just come back from walking my dog through Bermondsey spa park,
cannot believe what a disgrace it has become. unkept and over grown, gypsy caravans now parked in the park itself. rubbish everywhere. how can the council let it go like this.
too intimidating to go back again. the council should be ashamed. i know that the spa is due for regeneration. but does that mean it can become a dump and gypsy site until then

martyn

Advertisement

Paul Monday 7 June 2004 5.25pm
Isnt it just a pit now? I remember the propaganda from the council about "great new plans for a new Bermondsey Spa park" - give us your ideas?

Heres an idea - clean it up so that doesnt scare people, get rid of the gypsy's (who cant claim being poor given that they have nice new landrovers) and DO something with the money that weve taken from us in council tax

While your at it, clean the streets, repair the roads and when you charge maintance fees for council flat buyers, stick up to your half of the contract and provide the services for which you extort the money.
rivethead Tuesday 15 June 2004 8.28pm
Yeah too true.

Apparently its' a lot to do with social exclusion, although they should be evicted by the end of the month, and work starts in July.

South London press covered this today, with the gippo leader saying they would go back to Donegal for the summer if the eciction happened. Any chance of the council sending a fleet of artics to Donegal with the ****** they have dumped, and tipping it on their town square !

Bill
barkyhead Tuesday 15 June 2004 9.43pm
Bill, I can understand your annoyance, but the people who you refer to as "gippos" find that term highly offensive.
madkingsoup Friday 18 June 2004 10.18am
I stopped taking my dogs there some time ago and now go to Southwark Park (which is nicer anyway, but I have to go by car or the dogs would be knackered before we got there!).

What annoys me is their complete lack of respect for the park itself. I was defending them left right and centre to some of the local bigots. Until they started dumping rubbish and going on to the park itself, at which point they crossed the line from travellers to louts.
Claire T Monday 21 June 2004 10.23am
Social exclusion???? I feel pretty socially excluded myself, now, what with not having a nice, brand new land rover, not to mention feeling totally unable to walk through a local park without feeling quite intimidated.

Like madkingsoup, I strongly defended this group to someone who called them "pikeys" a short while back, but they've completely lost all sympathy now.

There's a difference between having the right to maintain a way of life, and having the right to take over a public place, completely trash it and bleat excuses about being socially excluded. Bill's right - load up a few trucks & dump it all on where they next stop - perhaps if they actually have to continue living in their own filth, rather than just moving on and leaving it for others to clean up, they might make a bit less mess.
balaclavered Monday 21 June 2004 9.22pm
Absolutely!! We've endured this disgrace for months now... what price development? What will make the council act? A petition.. how about a big brother style eviction... seriously, some kind of real protest needs to happen to show the strength of local feeling about this .......
Any ideas?
Niall Connolly Monday 21 June 2004 10.05pm
All

It might be useful to contact the relevant ward Councillor who might be able to explain the due process. They might also explain the legislation which both prosecutes and protects individuals in situations such as these.

Speaking entirely as a local resident, and refering to other threads, it is sad to live in a society which seems defined always by the lowest common denominator.

Regards

Niall Connolly
rivethead Monday 28 June 2004 8.14am
I feel better now that they have been evicted, although there are still two caravans there..

I have been chasing Southwark Council on this since March, and the comments they have made may clarify the position:

12th March:- The Council is pursuing legal action to evict the travellers from Spa Gardens, and has been doing so since they arrived on site last March. It takes some time as the law as it effects Local Authorities in relation to the eviction of travellers is very prescriptive, and failure to follow proper procedure could make the Council vulnerable to litigation. The group on the grassed area were not connected to those on the hard stand, and have moved on. I think it likely that the travellers on the hard stand will remain there for the immediate future, which is the best information I can give with regard to timescales.

The plans for the developments on the park have not, as yet, been delayed by the presence of the travellers and we don't expect them to be.

28th June:- The eviction covers the whole of the park, the redevelopment of the playground area should start should start in July and the redevelopment of Site A late summer.

I have asked them to clarify what is happening about cleaning up the immediate debris.

I'll post the reply when it comes.

Bill
janefs Wednesday 30 June 2004 10.04am
walked past the Spa this morning and noticed some tidy up work going on - strimming, mowing etc. and also that the cars and caravans have gone.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions