Safety work begins at Tower Bridge cycle death junction

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 2 May 2012 8.40am
Wednesday 2 May 2012 10.01am
The article mentions plans to ban left turns into Abbey Street from Tower Bridge Road - is that heading north or south? Abbey Street straddles both sides of TBR.
Wednesday 2 May 2012 10.40am
I'd guess it is for southbound traffic turning East, as the stretch of Abbey St heading West is only a few metres long.

That would push more traffic down the Tooley St one-way system and back up Druid St or Abbey St.
Wednesday 2 May 2012 10.44am
juanita wrote:
The article mentions plans to ban left turns into Abbey Street from Tower Bridge Road - is that heading north or south? Abbey Street straddles both sides of TBR.

That's true. Well there's no need for cars to turn left into Abbey Street heading north because they could turn off at the bottom end of Bermondsey Street.
It's all a load of old balls though since there are no traffic laws.
Wednesday 2 May 2012 10.57am
Ah, my thought was that it meant turning left heading north so turning left to pass the church. Itd be good to see more detail on the proposals.

Must admit, whilst that junction clearly needs fixing, and something should've been ages ago, I'm not sure that banning turns is the way to go. Cycle boxes, pedestrian crossings, phased lights, traffic enforcement cameras, convex mirrors etc all sound good ideas, but we need to be careful not just to push the same problem down the road or create new bottlenecks.
Wednesday 2 May 2012 12.40pm
Been banging on about this for ages.
I tried to get Southwark Council to catch up in January.
Got 30,000 from a developer in Grange Road to pay for improvements In December.
Glad something is finally happening.
Let's hope it works.
Wednesday 2 May 2012 12.42pm
Link to January speech here. Sorry.
jpm
Tuesday 22 May 2012 12.10am
Chapter and verse from Transport for London about what's happening and planned at the Bermondsey Neighbourhood Forum website
http://yourbermondsey.org/?p=271
Tuesday 22 May 2012 7.54am
Ah, so it's banning left turns from not into Abbey Street according to the proposal. Wonder if this is from the west or from the east? To be fair hardly anyone turns left there heading eastwards but it is an incredibly tight corner. If the proposal relates to traffic approaching from the east drivers will head straight across then left into Bermondsey Street (lower) to join TBR at the large crossroads with Grange Road where they'll all be queuing to turn right. Not sure that's a great solution.
Tuesday 22 May 2012 12.25pm
Must admit I'm still not very clear on what turns they're thinking of banning. Guess we'll have to wait for the full proposals next month.

Looking forward to the: "improved signalised crossing facilities for pedestrians" (presumably meaning: "pedestrian crossing"). No more nearly getting squashed :-)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: