Big hole in road on Stoney Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
mac
Wednesday 2 May 2012 9.26am
Yesterday evening as I walked up Stoney Street there was a big hole in the road (outside Monmouth Coffee). It had been cordoned off and was being guarded by police. I wonder what happened? It's probably connnected with the building work - and not helped by big lorries that use the street.
Wednesday 2 May 2012 10.45am
It could be part of the "hole sale" market. Boom Boom
Wednesday 2 May 2012 12.11pm
Story now updated with response from the council: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/5980

"we imagine it will be a number of days to rebuild the sewer"

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 2 May 2012 1.47pm
Such bad timing. I've been hoping a big hole would open up outside Monmouth for ages. Preferably on a Saturday morning.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 2 May 2012 1.49pm
On Saturday there was an indentation about 2mx2m with a 1mx1m bit of tarmac thrown on top, but it had sunk a further 10-15cm.

On Monday they had obviously put more tarmac on it but it had collapsed further and the new tarmac was cracked with white spray paint indicating the area on the new tarmac.

Typical council bodgejob! They should have alerted Thames Water last week to investigate this and dig it out. I hope nobody got injured in this.
Wednesday 2 May 2012 2.24pm
it can only have been caused by the weight of the queues
Thursday 3 May 2012 1.19pm
The council workers were present on site on From first thing Wednesday morning and have been nothing but polite. It appears the work will be complete on Friday and the void had nothing to do with thames. I think the council have done a good job in repairing the works so swiftly for once!
Thursday 3 May 2012 5.21pm
boroughpaul wrote:
it can only have been caused by the weight of the queues

It could have been some traders trying to tunnel through to Maltby Street!
Thursday 3 May 2012 8.34pm
are there any picture of this creator before it was filled in, it sounds very strange.
There is re-cobbling in progress all the way up the south bank including clink street.
I actually think the original cobbles looked better than what they have done ,
however Between Thames link and the re-cobbling itís a bit odd, lets hope nothing else happens.
or is there a Roman remain underneath for example.
Friday 4 May 2012 6.58am
mickysalt wrote:
are there any picture of this creator before it was filled in, it sounds very strange.
There is re-cobbling in progress all the way up the south bank including clink street.
I actually think the original cobbles looked better than what they have done ,
however Between Thames link and the re-cobbling itís a bit odd, lets hope nothing else happens.
or is there a Roman remain underneath for example.
There's a picture on the original news story on this site.
I think the new cobbles around Clink St are being put in to make the path more accessible and wheelchair/pram friendly. I haven't seen them myself but definitely read it somewhere.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: