Publicity - for James Hatts

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 23 February 2004 1.00pm
Would it be OK if we were to advertise (by press release, not actually paying) this shiny new forum in appropriate places? Southwark News, the South London Press and the Evening Standard spring to mind, but I'm not sure what your bandwidth limitations are like? Is is the sort of thing you are happy for forumers to do, or would you prefer to make those sort of decisions yourself?

I know I'm only a new poster - forgive the impertinence :-)
Tuesday 24 February 2004 2.00pm
James, also, is this a thread for leasehold owners of ex-council property (as per another thread on this list) or is it for any leaseholder in SE1?

If it's the former I think you should consider renaming the forum to something less confusing.

but great that you have started a new forum list for this - very supportive as ever.
Tuesday 24 February 2004 5.39pm
James - feel free to spread the word about the forum, but I think any press releases ought to come from Bankside Press.

That said, I suspect you'll find it hard to get the SLP or the Southwark News to print the URL of this site - they see us as competition, though of course they're happy to pick up stories here from time to time :-)

Fedora - I think what was requested was a forum for leasehold owners of ex-council property. If anyone can suggest a concise, descriptive name for this section, that would be useful.
Wednesday 25 February 2004 10.26am
OK, we'll let Bankside Press handle it :-) I might see if it can be included in the next newsletter of SLA2000 though.

Fedora - 'Southwark Leaseholders' to me suggests any leaseholders that live in Southwark. It's just that the largest landlord is the council. But all the issues apply equally to other landlords, of course. Even if you're in a conversion, and the landlord lives in the other flat, they still have to stick to the laws and regulations.

Post edited (25 Feb 04 10:27)
Thursday 26 February 2004 11.51am

Ex-council leaseholders in SE1 (or just 'Ex-council leaseholders' for the front page link) is a better name than 'Southwark Leaseholders' - if the purpose of this list is to discuss council-induced costs, etc - as per the thread which started this list.

Otherwise, almost everyone that owns property is a leaseholder, especially in SE1 where they would have to be a zillionaire to afford a freehold property. So that would beg the question, why seperate this list off from the main SE1 list.

So I think some title-definition would be useful, personally.
Thursday 26 February 2004 11.59am

The purpose of this forum is not to discuss 'Council-induced' costs, it's to discuss landlord-induced costs. It's just that the biggest landlord is the Council. But what I'm trying to say is, you are right, lots of people in Southwark are leaseholders, and that's why I thought there would be enough interest to have a separate forum, rather than get cluttered up with coffeeshop review on the main forum.
Tuesday 2 March 2004 9.41am
Yes, James 516 is right, the relationship between Freeholder and Leaseholder is the same nasty messy one whoever the players are.

I've recently bought out my dreaded Freeholder for a surprisingly small sum, only twice the amount she had managed to 'steal' from me despite every well researched attempt to fight her off before the last but one law change and 2 or 3 % of the value of the place.

She was the notorious [named in the House in debates about the really bad Freeholders which occasioned a change in the law, as well as in the famous evening Standard campaign of Mira Bar-Hillal's] Susan Dixon.

Or, Susan Dixon, Buttercup Management, Edgeguide Limited, who used to use Malthouse Chevalier solicitors to do their unbelievably aggressive extorting for them, until Malthouse happily died. There are quite a few people afflicted by the plague of Ms Dixon in Southwark, though she has been withdrawing from the no longer so profitable game recently, wounded, hurt, and in her case nursing a hangover.

I just want to let anyone else afflicted by the Dixon virus know that she is challengeable, defeatable, easily spooked if you've really done your homework, and are for example ready to take her on, having kept scrupulous notes and copies of all the things said and done [which she does not do. She relies on sheer ranting bullying now that the equivalent legal threats are less effective]. Finally after years of torments and 'theft' and High Court threats etc. we beat her and got the Freehold for the absolutely lowest possible price, 2 or 3 % of the value of my apartment in a buidling with two apartments. That included using a super pucka Solicitor too, and having borrowed it the annual costs are now much less than they were before.

Oh and what brought her down here was her high handed and casual attempt to rip us off over the long awaited Service Charge Rip Off, which she badly handled, in that it was so obvious what her tactics would be and because she attempted to use her own men who were miles away from here, and just messed it up in her usual haste and having got used to years and years of being able to get away with it. It took a lot of time and effort and some nerve holding to confront her with exhaustive documentation -and in the street when she came to take photos but scuttled away- but she capitulated. Her final thign was to threaten to sell the Freehold on the open market, which is governed by rules that you need to inform her about before making a well informed bid yourself which she will always take; she's getting desperate.

The key is boring; you have to be better informed than any solicitor/barrister you are likely to encounter on the law and on case history and precedent. Very few legal people or surveyors have got caught up with Dixon [who always settles, alway avoids a court record in that way etc.] and can never believe just how flagrantly aggressive she and they all are.

The LEASE people [last heard of by me in new offices near Old Street] are good, but you need to do your own research and work beyond consulting them too.

There is a group called CARL, who are worth knowing about as an information source, and particularly for Council or ex C. Leaseholders I believe. Their contacts are:

Simon Hughes is also well versed in these issues in my experience, and was a help to me at a critical juncture, though not over the final confrontation which was strictly personal.

Good luck, fight the evil Dixons!
Tuesday 2 March 2004 12.29pm
I have no idea who this Dixon person is but it sounds interesting. Clearly a passionate fight and a battle well won!
Tuesday 9 March 2004 3.06pm

thanks for the link to CARL - much useful advice on the site although it is shocking to learn how vulnerable we leaseholders are.

It's amazing that the craze for property makeover/buying programmes on TV do not seem to give this kind of issue any airtime.

Leaseholding should somehow carry as much of a visible government health warning as a packet of fags!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: