The Woolpack

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Saturday 12 May 2012 4.31pm
Having lived in the area for quite a while I am increasingly annoyed by the staff in the Woolpack. I have been in the garden experienced my drink being lifted off the table and plonked on the bar inside. It was around 10 p.m. which I realise is their garden "closing time" but a request to get inside and not just lifting my half full pint and my friends drink whilst we were chatting is unacceptable in my book especially as it looked to be the bloke in charge! I've also noticed a total lack of interest from the staff in general both while "serving" food and "serving" drinks. The prices vary in price too and I'm talking the same round of drinks on the same day being different - what is going on here??
I've experienced something annoying everytime I go in. There are other pubs, I know, but I live around the corner and pop in from time to time for the odd drink and don't have the time to give feedback as part of my night out. I've looked on the forum and not seen any similar comments but would be interested to hear if this is the general consensus or I am just a miserable sod?
Saturday 12 May 2012 4.38pm
Had my drink taken out of my hand! Haven't been back.
Saturday 12 May 2012 9.43pm
no complaints here...always found this pub to be among the best in SE1 for food and drink
Sunday 13 May 2012 2.34am
Without condoning rudeness I guess pubs with a beer garden, though they hit the jackpot when the smoking ban came in, are by now under the cosh from residential neighbours simply because of the impact from the extra use their outside space is getting.

With a 10pm cutoff it sounds like there's already a restriction on the licence, so the twitchiness may mean they're on their last warning.
Sunday 13 May 2012 4.55pm
Agree that they need to hold onto their licence it's just that this experience seemed to typify the attitude of the staff rather than be the exception. They appear more interested in themselves than doing the job. I've noticed arguments between punters at the bar because the "bartender's" have been totally incapable of noticing who is next when the bar is full - a requirement of the job in my opinion. Service as a skill being something foreign to these guys!
Monday 14 May 2012 9.21am
Went to Simon the Tanner the other night for the first time. It's a nice pub, much quieter than the Woolpack, friendly staff, good beer selection and good food. I have also been made to feel rushed and slightly unwelcome the last few times I have been to the Woolpack.... most likely to go to Simon The Tanner now, although being the parent of a young child that is likely to be a fairly rare occurrence.
Monday 14 May 2012 11.14am
indeed simons is a very welcolming pub, The Woolpack drinks prices are very high, and to be honest its not all that.

a friend of mine had his jacket stolen their whilst having xmas drinks..and if you look there are a few dodgy charachters mingling around..

the equation is the trendier an area gets the more disinterested the bar staff.. shoreditch anyone?
Wednesday 16 May 2012 9.42pm
Have visited The Woolpack a few times - well 4 times to be exact and I've had enough of their crap service and rudeness. I no longer go there despite it being my local pub.

I have been the victim of dreadfully slow service (understatement), the wrong food orders being served, over charging and their staff either taking the drink out of my hand (with half a drink left in the glass at 4pm on a Saturday afternoon) or blatantly being ignored at the bar despite being the first in the queue for a considerable amount of time (over 10 minutes on a non busy visit).

Over it. Even though I complained on every occasion the staff were far from apologetic and offered no recompense on each of those 4 occasions.

My local SE1 friends have also complained of the above issues and an additional seasonal issue of bees swarming in the summer months which makes outdoor drinking a hazardous activity!! Whilst the Woolpack is not directly responsible for any bees they don't seem to take any action against the owners of the hives who I understand are very nearby - apparently right across the street.

I'm baffled there hasn't been more complaints of their service on this forum.

Now, I am a regular at Simon the Tanner which is leaps and bounds better than The Woolpack.
Wednesday 16 May 2012 9.57pm
Do you have an explanation for this?

A lovely pub, in a perfect position, surrounded by locals and not, and gourmet restaurants.. Now art lovers too..

Solution: Just do things right and you are higher than the stars.

Why do chose the I don't care attitude instead? I never get this. Is it not more rewarding being the best? Specially if you can win easily :))
Wednesday 16 May 2012 9.59pm
I agree!

orione wrote:
Do you have an explanation for this?
A lovely pub, in a perfect position, surrounded by locals and not, and gourmet restaurants.. Now art lovers too..

Solution: Just do things right and you are higher than the stars.

Why do chose the I don't care attitude instead? I never get this. Is it not more rewarding being the best? Specially if you can win easily :))
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: