Walnut Tree Walk School

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 12 May 2012 5.12pm
plse can someone tell me ,where the old records would be ,for this school, 1901,ta
Wednesday 30 May 2012 8.28am
They would almost certainly be with the London Metropolitan Archive in N1 (about a 10-minute walk from Angel Tube). It is a fascinating place - you will find all sorts there.
Wednesday 30 May 2012 1.10pm
Gavin, sorry to be so dense, but what exactly would be on school records? and can you just turn up or do you have to make an appointment?

thank you..:-)
Wednesday 30 May 2012 1.34pm
Hi Jan, that is a very good question and I'm not entirely sure what would be at the LMA. I think that they would keep the class registers, minutes of staff meetings, official school photos and other miscellany but if there was a likelihood of anyone in the papers still being alive, I'm not sure that it would be included.

You don't need an appointment and can just turn up. The staff are incredibly helpful. It is like the local studies library at the Borough but with much more material. I've been there three times and on each occasion the day has flown by. I was able (with latex gloves which they provide) to examine the original design drawings for the block of flats we live in (dating back to 1880).

The photographic archive is amazing too. There was an online project a few years ago called EVAC (European Visual Archive Collection) but funding was pulled and so you now, again, have to go to the LMA if you want to see anything. Well worth a visit.
Wednesday 30 May 2012 4.01pm
Thank you Gavin,

will definitely be going in a week or to, would love to see my Mums records for her school in bear lane.

Glad to see they provide you with gloves to protect material which will grown increasingly fragile over the years. I personally cringe when I see precious ancient books/manuscripts handled without gloves.Watching Dr.Lucy last night in Harlots,housewives etc. on bbc 4 I felt like screaming at the screen...put your flipping gloves on!

Odd really seeing as my housework is on par with myths and legends....i.e it may or not have happened! :-)
Wednesday 30 May 2012 4.39pm
The LMA is an excellent resource, though of course, not all school records have survived. when I was looking up the records for St Philips/Archbishop Sumner primary (just over the road from Walnut Tree Walk) there were very few records - it all depends really on whether the school kept them - I believe they were only obliged to keep attendance registers for 3 years after the pupil had left.

The LMA has made available a large number of school registers on Ancestry, and you can get a 14 day free trial for that site (it's quite expensive otherwise) - you can look at transcripts or an original image.

Actually, now I remember they have free Ancestry look-up at the LMA so it's still well worth a visit. Last time I was there I looked up the workhouse register to find my great -nan's admission and dischargeback when she was orphaned.
Friday 1 June 2012 9.37am
Jan'
How I agree with you about people using gloves to handle old books and manuscripts. The lovely Doctor Lucy Worsley must have heard us both shouting at her to use her cotton gloves, she must know better considering her day job, But I forgive her (this once) because she amuses me so much.Striding purposefully about with her unique look of a mischievous blonde flapper and that totally endearing smile with the twinkle in her eyes and delivering so much knowledge.
Sorry that I have added nothing about the original subject.
Friday 1 June 2012 9.55am
In Dr worsley's defence, it is sometimes better to not use the gloves, just have scrupulously clean hands. Gloves can make your hands less sensitive to the paper and you can inadvertently tear it, especially if you're turning pages. Books of the sort of age she was handling are generally made of linen rag paper and are more hardy.
Friday 1 June 2012 3.29pm
thank you all (frances)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: