Draper Tenant's hall - Sell off?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 13 May 2012 7.31pm
Has anyone heard the rumours about Southwark Council wanting to sell The Tenants' hall here on the Draper Estate SE1?
A few of us are trying to restart the Tenants' Association, but the council is not being very helpful.
I've heard there are plans to sell our hall, which would make our new Tenants' Association homeless.
Please send me a message if you know anything.
Sunday 13 May 2012 9.46pm
I haven't heard these rumours, but if they are true, it would be a sad day indeed for all residents of the Draper Estate.

BTW: a facebook group for all Draper residents has recently been set up, and could be a very useful arena to discuss issues related to the estate.

So if you live on Draper, join it!

Draper Residents
Monday 14 May 2012 6.32am
If you want to set up a TRA then get in touch with Resident Involvement if you email resident.involvement@Southwark.gov.uk they should get in touch with you, they are looking to help residents start up Tras.

The halls arnt being sold (not yet anyways) but the way they are being run I think is being looked into.
Monday 14 May 2012 10.59am
Thank you for your suggestion.
So far I have sent several emails to these councillors
Kevin Skinner
Simon Godfrey
Chucks Amaechi
but for various reasons I have not received any helpful answer.
I will try to contact the resident involvement team as well.
More later...
Monday 14 May 2012 12.14pm
Kevin Skinner isn't a councillor he is resident Involvement, he should answer, good luck.
TAK
Monday 14 May 2012 10.00pm
luisa wrote:
Thank you for your suggestion.
So far I have sent several emails to these councillors
Kevin Skinner
Simon Godfrey
Chucks Amaechi
but for various reasons I have not received any helpful answer.
I will try to contact the resident involvement team as well.
More later...

The above are just council officers and not councillors if I understand correctly. Councillors are elected and from a party, whereas officers are council employees.
Simon Godfrey (Senior Manager Resident Involvement) wrote the following to me when I asked him about the rumour of hall sell off which I think I read in another tread on here:

There are no plans to sell the Draper Hall. What may have given rise to this rumour is the recent survey we have commission to ascertain the repair and investment needs of all housing community facilities in order to draw up a capital program for them.

I received this answer on 16th April 2012 and I have very good filing skills.
I'll PM you his telephone nr and email address just in case.

Good luck!
Tuesday 15 May 2012 5.50am
Hello thank you for all your answers and suggestions. I would like to let you all know that I received an email from Simon Godfrey saying:
"I would like to be clear that there are no plans to sell the hall at Draper. We are currently surveying all halls on housing land in order to develop a capital works program to provide necessary investment. I know that on some other estates the arrival of surveyors has led others to think this is the prelude to a sell-off, but this is happily not the case."

It was reassuring to hear this. I have also been suggested by Lorna Browne, a council officer, to form a steering committee in view to have a TRA, and this is a wonderful news.

Now I need my fellow residents to sign up to a committee that can help move Draper's issues forward.
TAK
Tuesday 15 May 2012 3.01pm
luisa wrote:
Hello thank you for all your answers and suggestions. I would like to let you all know that I received an email from Simon Godfrey saying:
"I would like to be clear that there are no plans to sell the hall at Draper. We are currently surveying all halls on housing land in order to develop a capital works program to provide necessary investment. I know that on some other estates the arrival of surveyors has led others to think this is the prelude to a sell-off, but this is happily not the case."

It was reassuring to hear this. I have also been suggested by Lorna Browne, a council officer, to form a steering committee in view to have a TRA, and this is a wonderful news.

Now I need my fellow residents to sign up to a committee that can help move Draper's issues forward.

Glads to see you have now also received a response. I wonder if Simon Godfrey has also been reading the se1forum? Would be a bit much coincidence for him to reply to you a few hours after you complained on here not getting a response!

Delighted to see you got the same reply as I did a month ago - I hope this should be rather reassuring that whomever started the rumours was wrong!
Tuesday 29 May 2012 6.50am
Just remembered we have a group called SGTO (Southwark group of tenants organisations) They have a resource centre and staff that can help. Check out their website.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: