Building of the Tesco Superstore

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 15 May 2012 4.32pm
Hi all, I'm newly registered on this website, having spent God knows how many really enjoyable hours reading everyone's reminiscences about the area (and era)that I was born in, grew up in, got drunk in, and formed my punk band in before leaving in 1982. I lived in Lynton Road all that time (I was born in 1959), and all of the memories on these pages about the Blue, The Goods railway, The Hole in the Wall chippie on Dunton Road (best chips ever!), and all the long-lost pubs, shops and characters really make me homesick for that particular time and that particular place (I currently live in the Brecon Beacons in South Wales - long story!). Anyway, here's the thing - I'm currently writing a story which touches in part upon Bermondsey in the recent past, and I cannot remember for the life of me what shops on the Old Kent Road were demolished to make way for the Tesco Superstore. Also, what year exactly did that start trading? Be grateful if anybody can help (I'll even give you a namecheck should it ever get published - don't hold your breath on that!). There's tons more stuff I'd like to ask, and probably will, but I'll keep it to that for the time being. Cheers
Tuesday 15 May 2012 9.32pm
Hi Barry, welcome to the forum!

You're the same age as me so we probably remember a lot of the same things. Do you remember the disco nights in the Dun Cow? (It's now a doctor's surgery) On Tuesdays they used to have DJs, often from Radio 1 - DLT, Noel Edmonds etc. I think they were the only ones in there old enough to drink!

To the best of my recollection the Tesco opened in 1994. The shops I remember from the site were the Woolworths, which I loved going in, and the toy shop which had a toy railway set in the window which you could operate from outside by putting a penny in a slot in the window frame. That's all I cn rememebr at the moment, but I'll have a think and see if I can remember more.

What school did you go to? I went to St Saviour's and St Olave's
Wednesday 16 May 2012 8.43am
According to this 1969 picture in Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fjroll/7104084457/in/pool-london-old-and-new

there was a tobacconist's, "Perkins dry cleaners" and the "Capitol Chinese Restaurant"
Wednesday 16 May 2012 9.20am
Found another picture from 1969. It shows the toy shop was called Stamps.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fjroll/6921302512/in/pool-london-old-and-new
Wednesday 16 May 2012 9.47am
The hole in the wall opposite the Dun Cow did amazing chips, but it's piece de resistance was it's saveloys and pease pudding. Never been bettered.
Wednesday 16 May 2012 9.51am
Barry Atkins wrote:
Hi all, I'm newly registered on this website, having spent God knows how many really enjoyable hours reading everyone's reminiscences about the area (and era)that I was born in, grew up in, got drunk in, and formed my punk band in before leaving in 1982. I lived in Lynton Road all that time (I was born in 1959), and all of the memories on these pages about the Blue, The Goods railway, The Hole in the Wall chippie on Dunton Road (best chips ever!), and all the long-lost pubs, shops and characters really make me homesick for that particular time and that particular place (I currently live in the Brecon Beacons in South Wales - long story!). Anyway, here's the thing - I'm currently writing a story which touches in part upon Bermondsey in the recent past, and I cannot remember for the life of me what shops on the Old Kent Road were demolished to make way for the Tesco Superstore. Also, what year exactly did that start trading? Be grateful if anybody can help (I'll even give you a namecheck should it ever get published - don't hold your breath on that!). There's tons more stuff I'd like to ask, and probably will, but I'll keep it to that for the time being. Cheers

I too lived in Lynton Road (Lynton Estate) in the seventies. Wonderful memories of hopping over the wall into the railway goods yard and getting chased out by the security guards!
Tuesday 22 May 2012 12.09pm
Hi
Yes the Tesco did open in 1994, the first year we lived in Bermondsey. I could see it going up from my home
Wednesday 11 July 2012 9.05pm
Hi everybody, thanks for all your fantastic information. Sorry about the delay in posting again, but recently I've got rather wrapped up in making contact again with all of my ex-compadres from my old punk group through my Facebook page (see my original post - we were called 'X Films', by the way, and in truth were pretty dreadful. Mind you, you can listen to our one and only single on Youtube, which was released in 1978, and died shortly thereafter, if you google 'X Films After My Blood' - but I digress). Hi, Auntie Pat - I'm afraid I didn't go into the Dun Cow very often, my favourite watering hole was the Thomas A Beckett, and especially seeing the amazing 'Stan's Blues Band' with the legendary Dennis Greaves on guitar. Great that you went to St. Saviours and St Olaves - so did my sister, Christine (she's 4 years older than me). She was a skinhead then, and probably one of the school bullies - she's a nurse now! I went to Haberdashers Askes in New Cross, by the way. Thanks also due to everyone - martinr, Pieces of eight (what number in Lynton Road did you live in? Mine was 160, just down the road from the Finish pub, and Pullens Motor Factors)and nikki vane - for filling me in on Tesco's opening date and all the shops that were demolished to make way for it. Really, really appreciated. Any other memories from that time would be very welcome, and I promise not to be so tardy with my posting in future! Lotsa love, Barry
Wednesday 11 July 2012 9.44pm
I listened to your single on Youtube. The chorus is stuck in my head now, so it can't have been that bad ;-)
Wednesday 18 July 2012 2.02pm
Thanks eDWaRD!I guess there have been worse. As it happens, all of us ex-band members have found each other via Facebook over the past couple of months. Somehow suspect there won't be much of a public clamour for us to reform, though!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: