40 metre ad on Draper House

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 15 May 2012 7.50pm
Hi People,

a gigantic billboard is to be displayed on Draper House's north side (facing the roundabout).

The council had previously declined permission, but have now been overruled by planning inspector David Leeming.

The billboard will stay up for about six months.

Full story here.

Since it doesn't look like there is anything Draper residents can do about it, I hope at least that the revenue generated by this over-sized ad will be solely spent on improving the estate and its facilities.
I understand the TRA hall may be in need of repairs/refurbishment: that would be a good place to use the money.
Tuesday 15 May 2012 9.44pm
It might not happen, it is up to the housing department.
Local residents, businesses and the elected councillors don't want it, would the housing department go against everyone's stated wishes?
Wednesday 16 May 2012 7.38am
When built in 1965 the blank concrete facade of the block was intended for neon advertising. Would have brightened up the place at night time

http://postwarbuildings.com/buildings/the-draper-estate
Wednesday 16 May 2012 8.36am
The northern wall is finished with Sicilian marble splints, one of the largest architectural displays of Italian marble in London. Each splint is about the size of a house brick.
- All of which have survived the half century since they were installed

Right now I can hear contractors drilling into the marble on the east side, to bolt in the scaffolding. The cost of repairing the damage they are doing will be astronomical, and trying to find a match for the marble pieces they are destroying will be difficult.

In the vestibule, under the ceramic tiles which were glued down in the late 80's, there are 20 foot long pieces of marble flooring, with brass linings.
The abstract concrete murals on the walls by the entrance are similarly concealed, but peep over the tiles, giving an indication of the work that went into this people's palace during its design and construction.
Wednesday 16 May 2012 10.13am
luisa wrote:
It might not happen, it is up to the housing department.
Local residents, businesses and the elected councillors don't want it, would the housing department go against everyone's stated wishes?

David Leeming does not work for the Housing Department: he works for the Planning Inspectorate, a Government agency and has been appointed by the Secretary of State.
In this capacity, he has overruled or endorsed local authorities all over the country on various planning issues. He does have that power as can be seen here, here and here.
Wednesday 16 May 2012 5.11pm
graham wrote:
The northern wall is finished with Sicilian marble splints, one of the largest architectural displays of Italian marble in London. Each splint is about the size of a house brick.
- All of which have survived the half century since they were installed

Right now I can hear contractors drilling into the marble on the east side, to bolt in the scaffolding. The cost of repairing the damage they are doing will be astronomical, and trying to find a match for the marble pieces they are destroying will be difficult.

In the vestibule, under the ceramic tiles which were glued down in the late 80's, there are 20 foot long pieces of marble flooring, with brass linings.
The abstract concrete murals on the walls by the entrance are similarly concealed, but peep over the tiles, giving an indication of the work that went into this people's palace during its design and construction.

Are there any pictures of the marble floors or concrete murals inside the vestibule? Shame the Section 106 money to clean the outside could not also be used to reveal the presumably original sumptuous sounding entrance.
Wednesday 16 May 2012 5.49pm
There were some mono photos in the Architects Journal, a copy of which is now buried in my archives. If it ever surfaces, I will post.
The top of the abstract mural is still visible at the entrance to Draper, partially obscured by the 'No Ball Games' sign.
TAK
Wednesday 16 May 2012 6.13pm
graham wrote:
There were some mono photos in the Architects Journal, a copy of which is now buried in my archives. If it ever surfaces, I will post.
The top of the abstract mural is still visible at the entrance to Draper, partially obscured by the 'No Ball Games' sign.

Some of my neighbours and I have been pestering everyone involved in the project for a long time to retain the mural by the entrance and hopefully re-site the 'no ball games' sign placed very unsymphatetically in the middle of the mural. Initially the proposal was to render over that wall till I told everyone to have a proper look and made them realise this was actually a wall with an integral and original art piece well worth preserving.
The intention then shifted to preserving it and maybe add some accent lighting to make a better visible and recognisable feature out of it. However, I fear there will not be money for feature lights...

Graham, I'd suggest you also email the project manager in this matter. The more people make themselves heard the better and the harder it is to ignore our voices. Do you need me to PM you her email address?

Also, could you advise where precisely that marble flooring would be and why it was covered in the 80's? Is it inside the concierge area, which I believe will receive some form of works to it too.
TAK
Wednesday 16 May 2012 6.25pm
I've posted this link already in 2009 but in the Strata thread.
London High Article

It links to an article from book 'London High' - a guide to the past, present and future of skyscrapers.
Maybe time to start a dedicated Draper House thread for all of these little things?
TAK
Wednesday 16 May 2012 6.46pm
Merlin Rouge wrote:
Shame the Section 106 money to clean the outside could not also be used to reveal the presumably original sumptuous sounding entrance.[/quote wrote:


Section 106 agreement for cleaning facade was only an allowance of 50'000 - the scaffolding alone costs a multiple of this sum....
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: