Scaffolding Accident

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 16 May 2012 11.37am
I was walking along SBR this morning approaching the scaffolding set up near where the Southwark Playhouse used to be. 2 builders were pulling up a huge pressed wood panel using a pulley. I have worked with pulleys and I know that the weight of whatever youíre lifting keeps the rope tight. However, the wood got stuck and I donít know if the guy who was pulling it realised it, but the panel came lose and fell down. It was already very high up and it fell down and the side of the roof of a taxi leaving huge dent. Fortunately there werenít any cyclists or pedestrians which was pure luck because its always packed that time of the morning. And way, I am quite shocked as this could easily have killed someone. The taxi pulled over and the driver and the builder started sorting things out, so I didnít stop. Now wondering if I should have offered a witness account, as I saw the whole thing. Any tips?
Wednesday 16 May 2012 11.50am
There may be a notice at the place where it happened asking for witnesses..
Wednesday 16 May 2012 11.54am
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
There may be a notice at the
place where it happened asking for witnesses..
That's what I thought. I'll go by tomorrow, hoping to avoid any low flying scaffolding...
Wednesday 16 May 2012 12.25pm
Appeal for Witnesses tend only to be used by the police.

This sounds like it might be Dangerous Occurence (although it isn't explicitly listed) that would be covered by RIDDOR, and would be the responsibility of the contractor to self-report to the Health and Safety Executive.

The HSE do not usually deal with members of the public directly, even if they are an injured party, but there is a complaint form.
Wednesday 16 May 2012 12.36pm
Truthmonkey-home, that is both interesting and useful. Thanks!
Wednesday 16 May 2012 6.49pm
Ouch, I walk past there every weekday morning - though because of a dental appointment, coincidentally not today! - and have long been wary of that scaffolding, which occupies the entire narrow pavement.

Not only don't I walk under it (it's low too, and I'm tall) but give it so wide a berth that I'm out in the road beyond the blue cycle lane. My instinct has been rather to take my chance with the traffic!

Yet as that's where the taxi also would or should have been, clearly even those precautions aren't enough.

Are there really no regulations that require potentially lethal items to be hoisted up in a proper sling or cradle rather than just by a rope on a slip knot?

Clearly anyway this site should be brought under control.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: