New council house development in Long Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7
Wednesday 16 May 2012 3.55pm
What do you think?

I am always in favour of these initiatives and I live in council development but here I have two doubts.

1) This area is becoming more and more expensive even for people with an income.
Building more council houses without the needed infrastructures is going to create more divide between those who have and those who have not.

2) JMB leathermarket is already struggling massively with the amount of houses they have at the moment and in case of need, they are often not able to respond. Do they have a plan for this?

Thank you for your opinions

Related news & features

Wednesday 16 May 2012 4.15pm
Great news. Looking forward to seeing the designs. I only wish Long Lane was quieter for them.

"and in case of need, they are often not able to respond", hasn't been our experience. You have a personal grievance?
Wednesday 16 May 2012 4.22pm
I think any development on that site is probably good for the area.

The current 'housing association' building which is falling apart and has people sleeping in it (oh the irony) is well overdue being flattened.

I hope they include some retail in the design, long lane would be far improved with a more active street scene than the current mix of blank offices and flats.
Wednesday 16 May 2012 4.22pm
Grievance? No.

My question was a bit more complex than your answer Clive.. if you read it.
It surprises me your need to defend JMB so dearly. They are the biggest management body with all the problems that this imply.

I fully agree LongLane. That is part of my post. I know that many people in council houses are already struggling and they have to borrow money from next door (if and when possible)..

So why not taking care of these people first and soon?

Just building more flats with no shops and key stores it seems to me to make them live in a even more remote island
Wednesday 16 May 2012 4.25pm
"Building more council houses without the needed infrastructures is going to create more divide between those who have and those who have not."

Why? It's not a rhetorical question, I just don't understand your point - sorry.

In the absence of rent caps (Tory govt, Tory mayor, so that's never going to happen) building more council housing seems like a good plan to me. I'm not as massive a Thatcher-hater as some, but the great council house sell-off now seems like a terrible, short-term idea which led to a housing boom in the South-East, London especially. This has priced people on even median income out of home ownership - they're forced to rent in the sub-standard and poorly regulated private sector.

SE1 is changing, it's increasingly being bought up by the buy-to-let fraternity, which has helped caused a massive spiral in the price of houses. This is gradually going to lead to a much more transient community, in which people will rent for a short time and then leave. I think council housing, in which people tend to stay longer, is good for an area. One of the best things about the area is the social mix, you don't feel like you're living in a purely middle-class enclave - I'm sure most on these boards agree.

As usual with England, there are things we could do about the various problems that beset us, it's just that we've largely chosen to do either nothing about them, or make them actively worse, as it suits the agenda of enough affluent folk to make it worthwhile.
Wednesday 16 May 2012 4.38pm
[quote mikec]"Building more council houses without the needed infrastructures is going to create more divide between those who have and those who have not."

Why? It's not a rhetorical question, I just don't understand your point - sorry.

I mean that if you build more houses but then you surround the block with the Shard, the place, Offices, Luxury flats expensive restaurants instead of essential retail (which is lacking completely), if it happens that you struggle a bit with money (and I include myself..) how can you be in your place? You have to take the bus to shop, or the car, anything is far and what is close is expensive. Am I more clear? Thank you
Wednesday 16 May 2012 5.06pm
[quote orione][quote mikec]"Building more council houses without the needed infrastructures is going to create more divide between those who have and those who have not."

I mean that if you build more houses but then you surround the block with the Shard, the place, Offices, Luxury flats expensive restaurants instead of essential retail (which is lacking completely), if it happens that you struggle a bit with money (and I include myself..) how can you be in your place? You have to take the bus to shop, or the car, anything is far and what is close is expensive. Am I more clear? Thank you[/quote]

I think it is a fair point - there is a fair amount of 'grocery' type retail with the local markets, a few Tesco and Sainsburys of various sizes, but that is just about where retail ends in SE1. If I want anything other than food I have to get the train to Charing Cross and fight through the tourists.

We seem to be on the verge of a massive influx of people to the area through new offices and new residential, but not a lot for them to buy other than food!
Wednesday 16 May 2012 5.10pm
A curious way to encourage opinions Orione.

Regarding Leathermarket JMB, "they are the biggest management body with all the problems that this imply"

You either have a reason to doubt their ability to manage their stock or you don't. I wondered if it was from personal experience. They recently won a vote to continue managing the Kipling Estate and elsewhere. I think it's appropriate to ask you to clarify why they couldn't manage a further 25 - 30 households.

The issues of personal finance, mobility and affordable choice in the area are wider questions. This is a tiny, but welcome development, I appreciate the opportunity to publicly encourage it.

So when can we see the plans?
Wednesday 16 May 2012 5.35pm
Does anyone have any information on whether the new Council homes will have the same secure tenancies (after a probationary period) that Southwark tenants currently enjoy? That is surely one of the benefits of a council home that it is a reasonable contract for a home for life.

There were also plans being mooted by the Govt for 'affordable market rent' of 80% of private rental prices to be introduced for new Council tenants - hoping this would not be the case with the promised extra 1000 council homes.
Wednesday 16 May 2012 5.45pm
Clive why are you suspicious about discussions in a forum? Is what a forum
Is about..
Or people intentions?
I don't get it. Merlin rouge and long lane as others expressed interesting comments in regard..
Using your same bad attitude I could say do you work for them?
As your posts are all about that little area around?

I am just genuinely concerned.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: