Sick of all the push bikers jumping lights on Borough High St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 45
Friday 18 May 2012 9.22am
i have lost count how many near misses i have had with people not pulling there brakes as they come to a crossing ITS A JOKE every morning on Borough high st !! wish they had to pay a bikers tax an made to wear a jacket with an ID number on the back

my friends little girl got knocked off her feet crossing at the crossing....the bus had stopped but the push bicker didn't think he needed to CHEEK!

IF THEY WANT TO USE THE ROAD MAKE THEM PAY TO..... THEN THEY JUST MIGHT START CARING HOW THEY RIDE ON OUR ROADS AN OTHERS THAT USE THEM
Friday 18 May 2012 9.28am
I agree with your main point, but make them pay to use the roads? Why, when nobody else does?
Friday 18 May 2012 9.30am
Cyclist training isn't a bad idea, and with the good weather there's more out on the roads. Obviously this means more idiots.

Would our SE1 cycling contingency favour cycling licenses? Or is this too heavy handed?

Interesting one this - I know lots of 'proper' cyclists, who get really annoyed with some of the shocking behaviour of other 'cyclists' (when they've finished berating lorry drivers, white van men and various other idiots).

Block caps aside, is this a good idea? Or impractical and unworkable, and making the law-abiding majority pay for the stupidity and selfishness of a minority? After all, any idiot gets on a bike at the moment and they're a 'cyclist.'
Friday 18 May 2012 9.31am
Speaking as one of the "responsible" push bikers I would welcome a registration scheme. It makes me as angry as you to see people disregarding the laws of the road. I want London to be a more cycle friendly city but that won't happen as long as the idiots stir up bad feeling in other road users. It's often the "newbies" and Boris bike riders who are the worst.
Friday 18 May 2012 9.34am
Cost, and how it would be regulated, are the biggest obstacles in my opinion.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions whether they are in a vehicle or not, and whether that vehicle has 2 wheels, 4 wheels or a dozen wheels.

I cycle, and consider myself a sensible and considerate cyclist. Do I occaisionally break the letter of the law? Yes, if I'm honest I do on rare occaisions, and less now than I used to, but I do it carefully when there's nobody around if I ever do.
Friday 18 May 2012 9.41am
Cyclists should be allowed to run red lights when it's safe for them to do so -- that's the law in Paris.

Of course, that means that cyclists also need to be extra careful when partaking of this privilege...
Friday 18 May 2012 9.59am
james127 wrote:
Cyclists should be allowed to run red lights when it's safe for them to do so -- that's the law in Paris.
Of course, that means that cyclists also need to be extra careful when partaking of this privilege...

So if its safe....should cars....and who would decide if its safe...it maybe safe if you're quick for example but if you're not....there is 1 set of rules for road users and when 2 teams play by different rules you get problems, accidents and in the most unfortunate cases deaths...james127 I really hope your comment was in jest as its sets the most scary precedent on the roads if it were to come to pass
Friday 18 May 2012 10.02am
I'm not sure about simply 'running red lights', but having an advanced period when people on bikes can get away ahead of people in cars would make sense.
Friday 18 May 2012 10.17am
mikec wrote:
Would our SE1 cycling contingency favour cycling licenses? Or is this too heavy handed?

I cycle every day. I'd definitely be up for a licensing it. It would get rid of all those idiots on the Kenbikes that can't even ride them.
Friday 18 May 2012 10.21am
some thing needs doing

its not on that you cant trace the
bikers that are riding so careless as a car driver it costs me lots to use the road and living local i walk a lot to

i have had my side mirror knocked off an lost count of the knocks an near misses....an good on the ones that do ride with care same with every thing in life you always get some that lower the tone
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 45

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: