Heritage watch SE1 and SE17

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 18 May 2012 10.09pm
This post is here to start the ball rolling on historic buildings which maybe at risk of being bulldosed for new developments, particularly in the SE1 and SE17 areas, the 'oportunity areas'.
Saturday 19 May 2012 12.41am
The newly created Walworth Society has been doing some local walks and collecting of what they would call important local sites that should be protected.

"We were looking at 3 different types of things in the areas that we visited:

1. Buildings (private or publicly owned) or open spaces that can qualify as community assets (linked to the new Localism Act 2011).

2. Historic buildings that are in need of protection (ties in with the forthcoming Southwark Council consultation about the Local List of historic buildings).

3. Green/Open Spaces that are currently unprotected (ties in with the Southwark Council Open Spaces Strategy consultation)."

http://walworthsociety.co.uk/
Saturday 19 May 2012 4.51am
Ooooo Merlin Rouge, could you include Styles House garden in The Cut? We think this is a very valuable green space on a very grey looking street. We have spent years fighting developers who want to buy up some of the garden so they can build fancy flats on it. It is very much a community garden, and all achieved by volunteers.
Saturday 19 May 2012 8.52am
The gardens around Styles House are an absolute joy and I often go that way just to see them. I guess it's council land so it's down to whether they decide to sell it off.
Saturday 19 May 2012 10.24am
Is there a Borough and Bankside Society?

What local action groups existing in Borough and Bankside on these issues?
Sunday 20 May 2012 9.39am
I hope the old Manor Place Baths building isn't under threat.

Merlin Rouge,
Looking at that Walworth Society link brought back some fond memories of my time in the area. That end of Manor Place, as shown, has been boarded up for at least two years I think. I was there the summer before last and it was in that condition then.
As a kid I lived in Danson Road from 1947 'til 1957, where Pasley Park is now situated. That end of Manor Place back then was a busy, thriving little community. Tozer's the butchers, Bernie Phillips's grocery store, Harry Morrish's sweetshop, (tuppence for the best liquorice pipe in Christendom.) Carter's newsagents, the little oil shop on the corner, where my mum bought the paraffin for our night heater, etc. etc. All did a roaring trade. So sad to see it in its present state.

Sorry, (again,) for dragging you, all kicking and screaming, down my Memory Lane.
Sunday 20 May 2012 8.25pm
I think this is a great idea and one I hope to contribute to. As someone who grew up in Waterloo & still works in the area I am very aware that things change & move on but equally we have to be mindful of protecting the local heritage. I agree re the gardens near Styles House. I think we should also be mindful of the 'loss' of items such as street signs , street furniture and so on. In a lot of the sidestreets it is easy for 'details' to be lost , covered over or knocked down as builders get to work.
Monday 21 May 2012 9.07am
CharlyG wrote:
Is there a Borough and Bankside Society?
What local action groups existing in Borough and Bankside on these issues?

There is the Bankside Residentsí Forum (BRF), founded in 1995.
Andrew, who was the coordinator during the last years and did a fantastic job, is unfortunately another victim of those cuts the council made.

Watch this space till some new contact will be announced (hopefully):

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/groups/bankside-residents-forum
Monday 21 May 2012 4.25pm
As I understand it The Young Vic is based around the heritage sight of "Wilsons the butchers" as evidenced by the main entrance seemingly not fitting in with the rest of the design because the Young Vic were required to preserve the original frontage.
Anyone and everybody can see that the Young Vic have no intention of preserving Wilsons by the delapidated state of the front and I suspect they want it to become so broken down that they will be able to have the preservation order removed to their benefit.
Monday 21 May 2012 5.08pm
I am from Southwark Heritage association and we have been and still are very active borough wide in helping save our heritage. We have been doing this now for the last 25years infact before it became fashonable. I am the membership sec for SHA and am born and bread Southwark we also run the Southwark Young Pilgrims project (Pilgrim meaning Traveller)for young people which we have been running for the last 15 years. Any one wishing to join SHA and help us with the save our heritage are more than welcome our web address is southwark.org.uk. You will find membership forms there so come and join us.
we are not part of the council.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: