Laminate flooring

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 20 May 2012 11.15pm
I am interested in hearing from people who live underneath flats/dwellings that have laminate flooring above and your genuine experiences. I am interested in

(a)how the noise nuisance affects you -

(b)what was the noise like before any carpet or underlay was removed -

(c)and what the noise is like now.

(d)Please explain if you hear a lot of footfall noise or footheel noise and if you suffer from any airborne noise which is typically characteristic of laminate flooring.

(e)Please indicate whether the laminate flooring was laid before or after you moved in?
Sunday 20 May 2012 11.40pm
Noise nuisance can make your life hell.
Most flat leases should have a clause about mandatory carpet precisely because of the impact noise transmitted to the flats below. Check your lease.
Good luck and don't give up.
Monday 21 May 2012 6.21am
Thankfully I don't have the problem, but I have a couple of friends who do, the worst one the flat above has football problems, and also a dog, the click click goes on all day, and when they throw the ball for the dog its horrendous.

I believe the council made it a rule that you had to put an underlay under laminated flooring and a excessive noise is classed as anti social behaviour, whether your in private or council property.
Monday 21 May 2012 10.09am
taking your shoes off on a wooden or laminate floor solves the problem
Monday 21 May 2012 12.43pm
Footfall noise is the hardest of all to eliminate from say a Victorian conversion, where old floorboards beneath carpet also often reverberate downwards.

Laminates vary in thickness from around 7~22mm (the best being engineered board, with a sandable layer of real wood on top). If laid on an uneven floor there's generally also a layer of regular hardboard put in between, to avoid cracking in the new surface.

If a sound-dampening membrane is put down too, the overall impact can even be gentler than with just a layer of cheap foam-backed nylon contract carpet rolled out straight on to the boards.

But as Davies says, it all depends on what's set out in the lease. Unless there's a specific restriction the upstairs neighbours can do pretty much what they like.
Monday 21 May 2012 3.29pm
A friend of mine moved into a lovely large ground floor council bedsit in a wonderful quiet block...he gave it up after 10 months of realising that when the tenant upstairs had a job that entailed very late hours wearing high heeled shoes and a number of customers visiting her until 2/3 in the morning, I stayed there one night and it was hell.

All you could hear was tap tap tap and it was not the bed that was creaking, but the bloody floor... every single noise was amplified..the toilet being flushed..the kettle being on switched on, echoing all around.

A friend of mine lived in similar property, the tenant above had carpets, she experienced no noise from them, indeed expressed surprise about the level of noise experienced.
Monday 21 May 2012 4.14pm
Krystian, I noticed a thread under Tait House from you so I presume you may live there if so the problem might not be laminate flooring but polished wooden parquet flooring from the flat above. All flats in Tait House have parquet flooring as part of their original specification to all rooms except the kitchen and bathroom. The noise can be eliminated by carpeting or rugs but that depends upon the goodwill of the unintentional noisemaker.
Monday 21 May 2012 8.35pm
Thebunhouse wrote:
Krystian, I noticed a thread under Tait House from you so I presume you may live there if so the problem might not be laminate flooring but polished wooden parquet flooring from the flat above. All flats in Tait House have parquet flooring as part of their original specification to all rooms except the kitchen and bathroom. The noise can be eliminated by carpeting or rugs but that depends upon the goodwill of the unintentional noisemaker.

I live on hatfields and when i moved into my block of flats it was stipulated in the contract that any flat above the first floor must lay carpet and could not have wooden /laminate flooring
Monday 21 May 2012 11.51pm
Thanks to all those who have sincerely contributed to the discussion. Please tell your friends. This is a great debate and one which will run for a long time.
Tuesday 22 May 2012 8.22am
The tenant that lives above me has no carpet or wooden floor, I can still hear him and his guests walking and talking. The floor is concrete with tiles on top, he does not realise how noisey he is
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: