Campsite on Potters Fields

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 24 May 2012 11.17am
For one day, OK I guess, but is the suggestion that this is earmarked as a campsite for the Olympic games? http://t.co/VPs9f21E

It just can’t be a good idea to turn one of SE1's few green spaces into a campsite. People do live here (like us!) and it's not as if we’re spoilt for choice in terms of green space. Though St Mary Magdalene's churchyard is looking good...
Thursday 24 May 2012 11.12pm
The Olympics are going to be Hell.
Nobody gives a toss about the poor Londoners who's lives and livelihoods are going to be destroyed, book a holiday and move out for the duration.
Try not to cry when you see the damage and the tax bill when you get home.
Friday 25 May 2012 8.36am
Yet another fairytale like the following:

Fairytale = Reality

The games will cost
£2.5 billion = £10billion and rising

London households will
pay £20 p.a. for 10 years. = Ad infinitum

Will leave a legacy = Those from the top down
will benefit most by the
companies they have set
up for their own gain

Campsites for the = Cash in our pocket
people

and we will be left to pick up the extra costs, traffic jams, worse public transport conditions, higher fares and being overun by petty officialdom and jobsworths.
Laugh and be happy because you will be playing host to the world and its sports mad supporters
Friday 25 May 2012 8.40am
The Olympics will be brilliant. What a chance to showcase our wonderful city. Such a typically depressing English attitude to moan about it and be miserable - very sad. Bet the same people are moaning as it's too hot this week.
Friday 25 May 2012 9.06am
I have been told that they were lots of TV programmes about London on the French telly so I guess we may not be able to perceive the foreign interest but the added exposure may bring more tourism over the years. I'll be glad to be in London during the Olympics, I am bloody paying for it so I may as well enjoy it. I do not yet believe that Central London will be that severely affected. We are so lucky living in SE1, we do not have to rely on public transport and can ride or walk to the West End and the City in under 30 minutes. I feel for the people who have to commute from the suburbs though.
Friday 25 May 2012 10.59am
JGarcia wrote:
The Olympics will be brilliant. What a chance to showcase our wonderful city. Such a typically depressing English attitude to moan about it and be miserable
Yes.
I haven't been paying much attention as the Olympics lost me when it gained synchronised swimming and the Paralympics, but the infrastructure is apparently on time, on budget. Moreover "Ping-pong is coming home!" is a phrase to echo down the eons.
Friday 25 May 2012 12.11pm
Davies wrote:
The Olympics are going to be Hell.
Nobody gives a toss about the poor Londoners who's lives and livelihoods are going to be destroyed, book a holiday and move out for the duration.
Try not to cry when you see the damage and the tax bill when you get home.

I am looking forward to it...yes its going to be more expensive than predicted and yes there will be some travel chaos....but as a global spectacular event you can't beat it. And whilst not sports mad I did get some tickets in the first round and didn't moan when I only got the least likey event that I applied for....demand was staggering for some of the blue ribband events and people couldn't understand why they didn't get anything for them??? And yes there are a lot of corporate sponsor tickets held back but they are contibuting huge sums to get this going. And finally a whole load of things have been built, including housing for those who have problems getting on the private housing ladder, as well as all the sports facilities and upgrades to the city itself, which would never have happened otherwise. Yes some of the money could have been spent on some more nurses or something so worthy but there has to be a balance in life...shall we shut all the museums and sell off their contents...how dull life would be if that kind of thinking was prevalent.
Zoe
Sunday 27 May 2012 3.01pm
I know, but I still think you are right, we can't get our money back now so we might as well make the best of a bad lot.
Sunday 27 May 2012 3.10pm
Well, even though I am an official Olympics hater, I have put a moratorium on my friends moaning about it to me endlessly because I don't have time to go into this black hole that saps my energies. I have my own black hole in which I sit waiting for it all to be over.

Can someone post up when it's all over and I will re-emerge, either a little bit skinnier or a little bit fatter if my emergency UN Doritos packages arrive on time. Back to the bunker!
Saturday 26 May 2012 11.46pm
I can't wait for the Olympics. We have tickets for 4 events and can't believe it's finally here!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: