Bermondsey Street 6am - refuse collection?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 25 May 2012 6.55am
Every weekday morning for the last few weeks I have been rudely awaken by (I think) the dustman at the southern end of bermondsey street, near Pizarro etc. Does anyone here know where this noise is coming from? Given that it's regularly before 6am and is every weekday morning I am guessing it's not a council collection....

Many thanks!
Friday 25 May 2012 9.30am
Hi AndyABC,

I would like to offer you some advice with your problem:

* Identify the source of the problem.

* Take pictures and keep a log of disturbances to re-inforce your case to the perpetrator.

* Politely explain your noise nuisance disturbance to the business which is commissioning the collection.

* If they are unsympathetic (generally this should not be the case on Bermondsey Street), engage with your neighbours and add their voices to your representations. At this stage, you would have to decide that you are determined to see the struggle out.

* In my experience, Southwark Council is useless for such situations (indeed, their own refuse vans (Veolia)are around and about in Bermondsey Street in the very early mornings).

A hat-tip to Hayford & Rhodes is in order here. A model of a responsible local business. Their Dutch supplier used to park a double pantechnicon rig at the Tanner Street/Bermondsey Street junction at 4.30am and transport several loads of flowers in a rattling metal push-cage 50 yards to their store in Morocco Street.

Once the problem had been explained to them, they acted to solve the noise nuisance and - after a short relapse by their supplier - have adapted their early-morning delivery systems to a much friendlier basis for local residents.

Which just goes to show that "It can be done" with polite, persistent persuasion!

Good luck, AndyABC, you have taken the first step to solving a genuine quality of life problem.
Friday 25 May 2012 9.50am
Hello Andy ABC

I have also noticed the increased noise early in the morning at the southern end of Bermondsey Street, and early refuse collection. I suspect this won't improve with the further restaurant openings (each with their own refuse collection it seems). I also wondered if there was increased HGV traffic on Bermondsey Street because of works in the area and traffic diversions.

Anyway I'll have a word with Jose/his manager.

Thanks for the good suggestions ceity slicker.
Friday 25 May 2012 10.06am
Also woken up the last few mornings- I'm pretty sure last night it was around 4am? If anyone knows who to write to about this would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Sunday 27 May 2012 8.52pm
So - I tracked down the source of the noise... it's a Veolia contract lorry clearing out the bins from the Think ApartHotel above Zucca. Think are aware and have promised to do something about it, so we'll see how we go... Many thanks for responses and support received above!
Monday 28 May 2012 10.16am
Well done.

The Pizarro kitchen bins were collected at 7.10am on Saturday and Sunday. I emailed the manager and asked for a later collection. Will keep you posted.
Monday 28 May 2012 1.51pm
I hope I am wrong, guys, but my experience of dealing with Southwark Council about their sub-contractor's (Veolia's) collections is not at all encouraging.

First of all, the Council's own noise nuisance regulations seem not to apply seems to Southwark Council's sub-contractors. I doubt that you will see any action from Southwark's Environmental Noise Team about abating your regular, loud, anti-social noise nuisance.

Secondly, although the local Restaurants, Bars and Hotels etc will be sympathetic and upstream your complaints to Veolia - the non-negotiable response will be that logistics mean that the "route" only works at that time of day.

Finally, you will need to be implacable and 100% committed to getting the outcome (and the shut-eye!) which is your reasonable expectation.

Once again, I wish you all the Best Of British. Please report back with any significant progress...
Monday 28 May 2012 4.21pm
This is a very interesting thread.

I moved away from SE1 in April and have had the exact same issue at my new place. I remain interested in this excellent website (thanks James!) for updates on the area for work and social reasons.

From the week we moved we have been woken up by a huge red Biffa van outside every morning between 5am and 6am (except Sundays, but including Good Friday, 5.22am). The lorry helpfully announces to us and all our neighbours that the vehicle is reversing before emptying a wheelybin containing what seems like the world's loudest wine bottles. This morning's awakening was at 5.55am.

The advice of others here is useful (especially ceity slicker), but sadly our restaurants are faceless chains so we do not have personable and approachable owners like Jose. I am also not sure which restaurant is the culprit (if it is only one...) or whether my complaint would prove to be a proper incentive to have them change their pattern at all.

I've called both Biffa and the council. Biffa said that, although they could not tell me who the restaurant is (data protection, of course), they would call their regional hub and "see if they can agree with their client to change the route". They have done nothing and with this attitude I do not expect them to change their route voluntarily. What I do expect is my council to relay my complaints to Biffa and force a route change to a less antisocial time. I was interested to hear the council confirm that their own refuse collection routes only operate between 6am and 3pm. Biffa seem to operate without limits, although I would break the law by beeping my car horn on the street between 11.30am and 7.00am. I hope that my council will eventually be sick of my email and calls every day - to register with them the time of each new disturbance - that they will eventually enforce the change on the operations of Biffa.

I suggest you chase Southwark council. I see this issue as clear antisocial 'noise' that is within the parameters of what a council can permit regardless of the stubbornness of a pigheaded private contractor. Everyone else should also independently complain to them about the issue for added impetus.

The added irony for me is that until last Friday we did not even have our own bins emptied until I complained about both of these issues! I suspect that getting Biffa to change may take a while longer. I'll let you know if I get a successful response from my council in response to the first complaint.
Wednesday 30 May 2012 9.42am
I was a bit Jet-lagged this morning so I was awake early enough to see what has recently been waking me at 5am.
This morning some sort of pantechnicon reversed up Morocco St with its truck reverse sounds on and loaded or unloaded outside Hayford & Rhodes This was at 5:10am.
I thought it was a dustcart, but the bins were still full when I passed, so I guess it was probably the Dutch delivery that no longer troubles the residents on the corner of Bermondsey Street and Tanner Street.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: